What's new

Force PAP? pppd Options? Need help/ideas please!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Squirrel_UK

New Around Here
This is going to be a fairly long one so thanks in advance!

I've been trying for 2 weeks now and I can't get my RT-AC86U (Merlin 384.4_2) to connect to the internet.

Bit of background - I've recently moved in to rented accommodation and the internet is provided by the landlord. Unfortunately this means I can't speak to the ISP support about this as the account is not in my name.

The router here is an ISP provided Huawei HG8245H and it's terrible - the wifi doesn't even reach upstairs. So that's why I want to use my own.

I've managed to get full access to the Huawei, downloaded and decrypted the configuration file and extracted the PPPoE username and password. (I won't go in to that here but it's easy enough to find if you search for it)

I've also managed to set the router in to bridge mode to then use my RT-AC86U.

I've set up WAN options with all the same settings that I can see form the HG8245H but I'm getting an authentication in the error log.

Code:
Feb 14 05:56:21 pppd[7002]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Feb 14 05:56:22 pppd[7002]: CHAP authentication failed
Feb 14 05:56:22 pppd[7002]: Connection terminated.

Now it could well be that the username and password I have got from the HG8245H config is wrong somehow, but I'm really hoping it isn't.

By the looks of it the password is randomly generated and it does include all characters in fact it is mainly non-alphanumeric.

After looking at the connection settings on the HG8245H I couldn't see anything wrong on my RT-AC86U and I kept changing things to try and get it to work (different options, MAC cloning etc.) but still no luck.

Then I went back to the config file I downloaded from the HG8245H and looked at each option in the WAN connection settings section. Now I'm technical but I don't know what every option means I did see in there this:

Code:
PPPAuthenticationProtocol="PAP"

From my error log it's saying CHAP authentication failed so then I went about trying to find out how to force it to use PAP to see if that would work. I found a couple of unanswered threads in here and not a lot else. Eventually searching around for a good while I got the idea (I can't even remember where from now) to add "+pap" in to the additional pppd options. I don't know if is the correct thing to do or not but my error log does change and it then shows:

Code:
Feb 14 05:56:40 pppd[7319]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
Feb 14 05:56:40 pppd[7319]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

Has anyone got any ideas about that? I tried researching about the pap-secrets file but I didn't really understand that. Then I found out that you can add "+ua" as a pppd option and point it to a file with your username and password in (again from where I can't remember). So then I made a file on my usb stick with those in and pointed it to that. Again it didn't connect but it does take the option though and warned me about the permission of the file:

Code:
Feb 14 03:46:21 pppd[2678]: Warning - secret file /mnt/data/pap has world and/or group access
Feb 14 03:46:21 pppd[2678]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
Feb 14 03:46:21 pppd[2678]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

And that is pretty much where I'm at now and I'm stuck. I thought with the config file and the username and password I would be able to figure it out on my own but I've not been able to so I'm asking for help!

I'll attach screenshots of the Huawei wan config page in both routed and bridge modes and I'll attach the WAN section from the config twice - one as it is in the original and another in a much easier to read line by line file (with u/p removed) in case there is anything in there that can help anyone point me in the right direction.

Oh and I'm doing all of this as I don't want double NAT and putting my Asus in the DMZ doesn't work properly either.

If you made it this far thanks again!

Attachments

• HG8245H - WAN config page - route.png
    HG8245H - WAN config page - route.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 798
  • HG8245H - WAN config page - bridged.png
    HG8245H - WAN config page - bridged.png
    181 KB · Views: 479
  • HG8245H config WAN section no u-p.xml.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 942
  • HG8245H config WAN section - single lines no u-p.xml.txt
    2 KB · Views: 751