What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hggomes: Non sense! You don't know what you're talking about.*

*That applies to himself for some of his sayings too btw. No offence to anyone :)
Puts it in perspective.

Scenarios that benefit from cpu power have been explained by RMerlin. So no generic benefits and that was the needed nuance to the claim that overclocking de facto results in higher performance.

Puts it in perspective.

Scenarios that benefit from cpu power have been explained by RMerlin. So no generic benefits and that was the needed nuance to the claim that overclocking de facto results in higher performance.

Ugh...a moment of thought come the below in my mind, in addition to RMerlin's list
  • WebUI (users of this forum spend much time using it day in day out..)
  • WLAN speed (don't forget it's part of LAN too...)
  • Samba/FTP file transfer
  • AiProtection
  • Adaptive QoS
These are stock features in the firmware. Maybe meet your 'generic' definition in my best effort understanding with goodwill..

Ugh...a moment of thought come the below in my mind, in addition to RMerlin's list
  • AiProtection
  • Adaptive QoS
These are stock features in the firmware. Maybe meet your 'generic' definition in my best effort understanding with goodwill..
Leave it man. Better ask them to go back to a RT-N16 and put AC wifi on a 600mhz processor. Would they still be happy?
Personally moving to a netgate pfsense hardware. Definitely need some more cpu here.

• AiProtection
  • Adaptive QoS
Let's not start a discussion on 'generic'. Looks bit pathetic.

A little update and report for the 'Maximum Speed' or 'Maximum Coverage' options in the firmware (using 380.57.5).

Environment:
Commercial building (about 40K SQFT).
RT-AC68U
N class client (laptop) on 2.4GHz band
through 3 exterior walls (brick) and one floor at a distance of 30 feet to router.
4 interior walls (drywall) and one floor and a distance from over 80 feet to router.

In 'Max Speed' mode, there was very iffy connections at both distances, needless to say.
Through the exterior walls and from the basement floor (30'), the signal connection fluctuated from 2Mbps to 0Mbps to 12Mbps (as per Windows), depending on how I held the laptop. A stable connection was possible it seems for seconds at a time and with steady hands a couple of minutes were possible to at least 'keep' the connection alive.
Through the interior walls and from the basement floor (80'), the signal seemed much better (an indicated 24Mbps or more), but a stable connection was not possible, even for a few seconds.

In 'Max Coverage' mode though, things were dramatically improved.
Through the exterior walls and from the basement (30'), the signal reached as high as 144Mbps, but couldn't sustain that (indicated) connection rate. But a still respectable 56Mbps was indicated and even reached as high as the low 80's. Even better, I didn't need to be balancing the laptop on one hand to get a better signal. :)
Through the interior walls and from the basement (80'), the signal actually was an indicated poorer performance (12Mbps), but the connection was stable and fast enough to initiate an RDP to a server and thus made it possible to get real work done. :)

I would love to know how this magic is done? Can anyone comment? @hggomes? :D

Let's not start a discussion on 'generic'. Looks bit pathetic.

I didn't nor I intended to. The only thing I can agree with you on overclock. lol. I would lower my ego a bit, so that I could see more on a forum like this..

I cannot change the "Regulation Mode" setting in the wireless>>professional tab.

Anybody experienced the same thing?

Tested with AC3200 and N66U.

Both using latest hggomes fw

Last edited:
I cannot change the "Regulation Mode" setting in the wireless>>professional tab.
Is a known issue: based on the latest changelog, it should be fixed with the next update.

Can anyone see where this new PIA VPN option is?

Wouldn't it be in the VPN, PPTP/L2TP Client, 'Add Profile' section?

My rt-n18u keeps randomly rebooting, sometimes works fine for a few days, sometimes reboots twice in one hour. I just can't figure it out. Router is a month old, currently running 380.57.5, i did factory reset after flashing from stock.
Before i pluged it as my main router, it was on test one week without any problems.
I also have rt-ac66u, same firmware, same setting, no problems.

Any ideas?

My rt-n18u keeps randomly rebooting, sometimes works fine for a few days, sometimes reboots twice in one hour. I just can't figure it out. Router is a month old, currently running 380.57.5, i did factory reset after flashing from stock.
Memory shortage? Do you run any USB devices or any other stuff on the router?:rolleyes:

Nothing, it's clean, just standard cofiguration, nothing else. 190-200MB free memory.

I had the same problem with Merlin's 380.57 and my AC68u. Went back to Merlin's 378.56_2 and its at 6 days uptime without a reboot. Crossing my fingers.

Nothing, it's clean, just standard cofiguration, nothing else. 190-200MB free memory.

How do you define a 'standard' configuration? ;)

How do you define a 'standard' configuration? ;)

Just pppoe, wifi and dhcp (some IPs are manually assigned). Everything else is at default.
Tried lower wifi power (5%), but it didn't make any difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.