What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As of now, it definitely is probably the best choice for such router.

The future is uncertain regarding the wpa2 vulnerability and how asus is going to fix it.

Worst case, no fix can be applied using the old wifi drivers that give us such great improvements.

I know it's aging but since several releases of Merlin's one (to whom i'm more than grateful for the support offered for N66-U) I noticed a consistent drop in wifi performance and from what I see i'm not the only one out there. Hopefully John's fork will solve my problem

I loaded John's firmware on my N66U a few days ago and all was well ((had Merlin on it before). I followed the instructions; used Asus recovery tool, did factory reset, and formatted JFFS.

Today I simply rebooted the router (via the web interface) and all my settings were wiped (password, DHCP pool start IP, wireless power, ...). I had JFFS enabled, but a "NO" in front of "Format JFFS partition at next boot". Why did this happen? How can I prevent this wiping from happening if I reboot again? Thanks very much!

Why did this happen? How can I prevent this wiping from happening if I reboot again?
Obviously this is not something that should ever happen from just rebooting the router. So it sounds like the router is coming to the end of its life. The other possibility is that the power adapter is starting to fail (quite common with the N66U), so a replacement might stop the problem reoccurring.

In the meantime to minimise the pain make sure you have saved your settings (Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting) so that if it happens again all you need to do is reload them and you're up and running again with minimal effort.

Hello,
i have installed a skybell Trim doorbell and gave it wifi access to a guest network(AP not isolated, no access to intranet)

i sometimes experience that i do not get notifications.
could it be that the guest network is not 100% compatible?
as far as i can see the skybell needs access to a wifi accesspoint which connects to the internet(no direct communication from wifi network to bell, everything through cloud

i have swiches 20Mb bandwidth on to make sure this is not a problem.
i am not switving b/g on because that will criple the rest of my network.

i will do a reinstal on the default wifi network to rule out the guest network thing.

should i put the network rotation interval to 0 (it is now 3600) since i use a statics WPA2 key

i am not switving b/g on because that will criple the rest of my network.
You may need to switch on b/g protection or heavy activity on your 'n' devices can lock out the older devices....but it will affect throughput of the n devices.

Just a FYI.

OpenVPN Connect for Android update 1.1.22 has a bug. (Since a few days available in the Play Store.)
It makes it impossible to connect to your OpenVPN server on the router.

Such a pain, but seems client side related. Not server side.
So, if you're using OpenVPN, don't update your (Android) client devices yet.

Thanks,
i use the openvpn client on my Iphone(1.1.1 build 2.1.2) so i suspect we will get that version to.
i am actually running openvpn server on my Synology.
very fast
Just a FYI.

OpenVPN Connect for Android update 1.1.22 has a bug. (Since a few days available in the Play Store.)

Just a FYI.

What worked for me as a temporary workaround is disabling the TLS control channel security. No idea why but it works...

It's all working now with OpenVPN Connect for Android 1.1.23

Also MAKE SURE your Server and Client certs are NOT signed with the MD5 signature hash-algorithm.
This is not allowed anymore with the new OpenVPN Connect for Android.
@john9527 What is the default if you let the router generate certs?

I grabbed the new EasyRSA (3.0.3) and generated all new certs and keys.
When I compared with the old stuff it seems I indeed used Server and Client certs with MD5 signature hash-algorithm.
The new generated certs are all sha256 signature.

You can find easy-rsa here.

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption, 1024bit

Checked my own router generated cert.

Great, that means router generated certs will not cause any problems with the current OpenVPN Connect app for Android. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!