What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can anyone tell me if john9527's fork firmware uses the sdk5 or sdk6 for wireless driver. Thanks I heard the sdk5 has better wireless and throughput:D

I've just update my N66U from older 276 to 374_6 fork release , and the first thing i noticed switching the firmware is that Wako Ok LAN feature no more works.
I mean, sending magic packet from the site http://www.wakeonlan.me/ the laptop turns on, so the magic packet starts from the site, arrives to the router and it is forwarded to the correct MAC address, but if i try to turn the laptop on via the router interface, nothing happen, and this was not the case with the old firmware.

Does anybody know if this is a known bug :confused:?

I use wol to switch on my esx test environment and settop box, and it works as designed here. I have the mac addresses saved in the list and I do not browse through the list. Maybe that's where it goes wrong?

@Ocram, which release did you use for the test, 6, 6E or the beta?

EDIT: I just tested Update-01, 06, 06E and 07B4 and all worked fine for me. Put PC to sleep, WOL from router.....PC wakes. Tested both static and DHCP address for the target PC on 07B4 (just in case that somehow played into it).

Also, I'm not sure I'd trust the WOL Listener app....I grabbed one, standalone 'WakeOnLanListener 2.0', and it didn't see anything even though the WOL was working. It didn't see both the router packet or a packet from my PC wol app. (I use a wol command line app from a remote HTPC to wake up my main HTPC/Media Server and that has been working fine as well).

Hi John

[Editing after retesting]

Thank you very much for your time and yes I confirm that everything works fine
Also my WOL listener proved to be faulty because it did not show the magic packet even if everything works fine

I apologige for the waste of your time and I thank you very much for you quick and always great support

Best Regards
Ocram

Best Regards
Ocram

Last edited:
Not a problem....just glad we could duplicate results.

Now, we've got to come up with some ideas to try and help out the original poster with the problem.

Hello John.... Can you elaborate on the IPv4 potential performance fix for Comcast customers?
...is this with IPv4 only... Or only for users using IPv6 and IPv4?

From notes:
IPv6 fix for a Comcast buffer overflow condition and a potential performance improvement for Comcast IPv4 connections (both ported from Shibby Tomato)

Sure. Someone noticed that at least some Comcast nodes are sending packets with a DSCP value (Differentiated Services Code Point, basically a packet priority) that was set to the lowest priority possible. The thinking is they are using this for internal routing and forget to strip it off when it reaches the network edge. So far it has only been observed as a problem on IPv4 packets.

Now to the router side....wireless N routers have a required component called WMM (Wifi Multmedia extensions) with does respect this value, and
interprets it that the packet is unimportant to transmit quickly and as a result you can get transfers slowed down. Note that it's a download, not upload, issue. How much slowdown is dependent on how the router driver implements WMM. On Linksys/Cisco routers, where the issue was found, the slowdown could be pretty dramatic. To be honest, on the Asus routers it hasn't really been reported, but it was easy to implement and I thought I'd make it available for people to try.

What the fix does is make an iptables rule that flips all the DSCP bits to '0' (or unclassified priority) for the incoming packets. It's activated by an nvram variable,

nvram set DSCP_fix_enable=1
nvram commit && reboot

and you can turn it off if it doesn't help will no ill effects.

lastly... Do you have a paypal account for those who would like to thank you for your time on this endeavor?

Thank you for your time.

To be honest, I really hadn't given it any thought....but you're the second person that has asked in the last couple of days and I may have to give it some consideration.:) For now, your thanks is more than enough.

Can anyone tell me if john9527's fork firmware uses the sdk5 or sdk6 for wireless driver. Thanks I heard the sdk5 has better wireless and throughput:D

The drivers are the sdk6 drivers that were available when the original Merlin release was made back in June 2014 with what is known as 'Engineering Mode' enabled for the N66. Most people find this pretty close to the sdk5 drivers.

...if you would prefer... Would be happy to make a Merlin donation in your behalf if you don't want to take money... Just doesn't feel right that you are doing all this work for free...

..or accept donations and donate a percentage back to Merlin if that is your concern....

Thx

Normal DL speeds, very slow Upload speeds on wifi. RT-N66U

This is my first time installing any version of Merlin. Im coming from the latest RT-N66U stock FW. First. I flashed RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-06Ej9527 without issue. Everything works wonderful, wired speeds are great. Wired is 120/40.

But for some reason Im getting very slow upload speeds on wifi. DL is normal at 120mbps+ but upload is very slow and jumps all over the place, usually at 8-15mbps. The stock fw was uploading at a consistent 38-40mbps on wifi. Just curious if it could be this latest build or something Im doing wrong?

I also gave the RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 a try and its the same thing.

Now Im hesitant to jump back to stock because of the exploit that these builds patched. Do you think tomato would be any different?

Any advice is appreciated.

This is my first time installing any version of Merlin. Im coming from the latest RT-N66U stock FW. First. I flashed RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-06Ej9527 without issue. Everything works wonderful, wired speeds are great. Wired is 120/40.

But for some reason Im getting very slow upload speeds on wifi. DL is normal at 120mbps+ but upload is very slow and jumps all over the place, usually at 8-15mbps. The stock fw was uploading at a consistent 38-40mbps on wifi. Just curious if it could be this latest build or something Im doing wrong?

I also gave the RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 a try and its the same thing.

Now Im hesitant to jump back to stock because of the exploit that these builds patched. Do you think tomato would be any different?

Any advice is appreciated.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure the router after loading the new firmware? You should also delete the wireless profiles on the clients and reset those as well. This is because both the router and clients store parameters specific to the code which may change between firmware levels.

If you doubt this can help....please see this post made just today. Different code but same concept.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=159006&postcount=8

Did you do a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure the router after loading the new firmware? You should also delete the wireless profiles on the clients and reset those as well. This is because both the router and clients store parameters specific to the code which may change between firmware levels.

If you doubt this can help....please see this post made just today. Different code but same concept.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=159006&postcount=8

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I did a factory reset with both the 374.43_2 and 376.49_5, before and after I flash the FW. Reset/reconfigured all wireless clients and reentered all settings by hand. Hmmm.. Maybe I'll try doing another reset. Idk.

Its just the upload speed which is weird to me, so I'm assuming its not interference or anything. I might try Tomato but would rather stick with Merlin, if possible.. ;)

Last edited:
My quedtion is if i could bond 2 dsl internet connections? If so how do I do it on rtn66u, best regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This popped up on the beta. My daily stats are unavailable. :(

Code:
Jan 12 15:43:42 cstats[322]: Problem loading /jffs/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz. Still trying...

Code:
admin@REMOVED:/jffs# ls  /jffs/oldstats/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root 11.8K Apr 25  2014 /jffs/oldstats/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz

This popped up on the beta. My daily stats are unavailable. :(

Code:
Jan 12 15:43:42 cstats[322]: Problem loading /jffs/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz. Still trying...

Code:
admin@REMOVED:/jffs# ls  /jffs/oldstats/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root 11.8K Apr 25  2014 /jffs/oldstats/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz

Your router tries to load from /jffs/ but your file is in /jffs/oldstats/ .

My quedtion is if i could bond 2 dsl internet connections? If so how do I do it on rtn66u, best regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The code itself doesn't support channel bonding, just load balancing in Dual WAN mode. There have been a couple of threads in this forum started about channel bonding for a LAN NAS connection....I don't know if that could be modified somehow for the WAN.

Hi John, I have not heard of many issues with the new beta any idea when this will become the final ? Also just a suggestion but when you release a beta it would be super nice if all we had to do was flash and try rather then having to enable the fixes manually. :)

Your router tries to load from /jffs/ but your file is in /jffs/oldstats/ .

Sorry that was a typo. That's an old backup.

Code:
admin@REMOVED:/jffs# pwd
/jffs
admin@REMOVED:/jffs# ls tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root        8.0K Jan  9 17:24 tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz

Code:
Jan 12 19:47:09 cstats[322]: Problem loading /jffs/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz. Still trying...

Code:
/jffs
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root        8.0K Jan  9 17:24 tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz

Code:
Jan 12 19:47:09 cstats[322]: Problem loading /jffs/tomato_cstats_74d02b41fc68.gz. Still trying...

The file might be corrupted then. Rename it, and generate a new databse under Tools -> Other Settings.

Code:
/jffs

Code:

Don't believe I changed anything in the beta that would affect the IPTraffic data. If you could reset and monitor it would be appreciated.

I enabled the per IP stats to /jffs on my system as well to monitor for any problems.

Quick question to Merlin.....this data should be maintained over a firmware update, correct?

Don't believe I changed anything in the beta that would affect the IPTraffic data. If you could reset and monitor it would be appreciated.

I enabled the per IP stats to /jffs on my system as well to monitor for any problems.

Quick question to Merlin.....this data should be maintained over a firmware update, correct?

Storing anything in the jffs partition can be iffy between firmware updates, as some updates will cause the jffs partition to be resized. This is especially the case with the RT-N66U and RT-N16, where jffs can only inherit any leftover space from the total 32 MB flash. So, the file can possibly be corrupted after a firmware update.

Storing anything in the jffs partition can be iffy between firmware updates, as some updates will cause the jffs partition to be resized. This is especially the case with the RT-N66U and RT-N16, where jffs can only inherit any leftover space from the total 32 MB flash. So, the file can possibly be corrupted after a firmware update.

Thanks for the clarification.....appreciated.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!