What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

I would like to ask for an advice with the following matter:

I have /mnt/sda1/entertainment set as a (Video+Audio) media directory of my attached HDD in the WEBUI (in USB application\Media Server). My problem is that if I leave it like that, it also creates it's database there (a folder named minidlna) which is not very nice when you browse the folder with a dlna device.

So I created a minidlna.conf in the /jffs/configs/ folder, and I set db_dir to /tmp/mnt/sda1/minidlna, which places the database above the root of the media directory. This all works very nicely, and it creates the database there just fine, but I still get an empty minidlna folder inside /mnt/sda1/entertainment every time I boot up the router.

So I was just wondering, am I doing something wrong here, or everything is fine (and I just need to delete that empty folder manually with a script?)

Thanks,
Ika.

Am a newbee in this but thanks to you guys learning fast.

I received my RT-AC68U 1 week ago after coupler of years being happy owner of N66U. Now out of curiousity I updated to the fork 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-06j9527.

Wanted to return to latest offical Asus firmware version today so I downloaded the Asus firmware, uploaded it, pressed the RESET button for 10 seconds. It reboots and.... still shows Merlin fork rel 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-06j9527 :confused:

How can I return to official Asus release?

Thanks for informing me and pls be aware I am relative new to this matter

Am a newbee in this but thanks to you guys learning fast.

I received my RT-AC68U 1 week ago after coupler of years being happy owner of N66U. Now out of curiousity I updated to the fork 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-06j9527.

Wanted to return to latest offical Asus firmware version today so I downloaded the Asus firmware, uploaded it, pressed the RESET button for 10 seconds. It reboots and.... still shows Merlin fork rel 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-06j9527 :confused:

How can I return to official Asus release?

Thanks for informing me and pls be aware I am relative new to this matter

I expect we're going to be seeing some strange things with updates due to the new bootloader (cfe) required to run the latest Asus OEM firmware.

So, what we need to know....what was the origin Asus firmware on the router and exactly what level of Asus firmware are you trying to load?

Hi John, I have not heard of many issues with the new beta any idea when this will become the final ? Also just a suggestion but when you release a beta it would be super nice if all we had to do was flash and try rather then having to enable the fixes manually. :)

Hi....how's things going?

Regarding the final release....

wait #1...Believe it or not, I haven't heard back from a couple of people yet who discovered issues that have been fixed...

wait #2.....for Merlin to look at the 'official' Asus fix for the LAN side security issue to try and pick that up....

wait #3....a couple more late adds (quiet for weeks, then everything pops up seemingly at once)....

So my plan is probably one more beta refresh to run just a couple of days after the above, then the final release.

Regarding the nvram setting for a fix.....since I lifted it from tomato and they set it up that way, I kept it as an option. There probably is a special scenario where you might not want to monkey with the DSCP values (the other buffer overrun fix is hard-coded).

wait #2.....for Merlin to look at the 'official' Asus fix for the LAN side security issue to try and pick that up....

Go with my fix. Asus confirmed that this particular function is only used during manufacturing, so completely disabling it like I did is the safest route.

I don't know the details of Asus's own fix (they don't expect to be able to release GPL For a while due the large number of models that are updated), but other people's observation seem to indicate that what they did is control the accessibility of that feature through an nvram setting. Since that serves no real purpose to end users, I will be sticking with my fix.

I might extend that fix to another function in the code that I saw and which I'm not sure about. I need to find the time to study that part of the code.

I expect we're going to be seeing some strange things with updates due to the new bootloader (cfe) required to run the latest Asus OEM firmware.

So, what we need to know....what was the origin Asus firmware on the router and exactly what level of Asus firmware are you trying to load?

Good questions.

Was trying to load the last firmware available on website eg 3.0.0.4.378.3873

Now prior to my flashing your firmware I had the latest version at that moment so looking at timeline (got the router 1 week ago) I think that was 3.0.0.4.376.3715

I tried a detour, eg I flashed to Merlins last firmware 3.0.0.4.376.49_5 which went fine. Tried than again to update to last official version, again a NO-GO :mad:

What was also strange is that I couldnt enter a WPA2 password in Guestsetting, just mentioned - and couldnt chage it. When I reloaded my settings this password was back again. THis was with Merlin and Your version. In my ówn'netwroks setting I could set a password, only in Guest not. Strange.

Good questions.

Was trying to load the last firmware available on website eg 3.0.0.4.378.3873

Now prior to my flashing your firmware I had the latest version at that moment so looking at timeline (got the router 1 week ago) I think that was 3.0.0.4.376.3715

I tried a detour, eg I flashed to Merlins last firmware 3.0.0.4.376.49_5 which went fine. Tried than again to update to last official version, again a NO-GO :mad:

What was also strange is that I couldnt enter a WPA2 password in Guestsetting, just mentioned - and couldnt chage it. When I reloaded my settings this password was back again. THis was with Merlin and Your version. In my ówn'netwroks setting I could set a password, only in Guest not. Strange.

Merlin released a unsupported build that will update the CFE then you will be able to flash the newest Asus build.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=159052&postcount=423

Hi,

I would like to ask for an advice with the following matter:

I have /mnt/sda1/entertainment set as a (Video+Audio) media directory of my attached HDD in the WEBUI (in USB application\Media Server). My problem is that if I leave it like that, it also creates it's database there (a folder named minidlna) which is not very nice when you browse the folder with a dlna device.

So I created a minidlna.conf in the /jffs/configs/ folder, and I set db_dir to /tmp/mnt/sda1/minidlna, which places the database above the root of the media directory. This all works very nicely, and it creates the database there just fine, but I still get an empty minidlna folder inside /mnt/sda1/entertainment every time I boot up the router.

So I was just wondering, am I doing something wrong here, or everything is fine (and I just need to delete that empty folder manually with a script?)

Thanks,
Ika.

I was able to exactly recreate your scenario (that had been bugging me as well and I just hadn't taken the time to look at it).

Taking a quick look at the code, it looks like it's trying to pre-allocate the db directory prior to starting minidlna and doesn't properly take into account someone moving it. Actually, it looks like it tries but doesn't quite get there. So the answer right now is just to delete the directory.

I did a workaround with a minidlna.postconf script instead of replacing the conf file. I moved it to '.minidlna' so it would be hidden and not show up if you are also using the drive as an SMB share and then just followed up with a delete to the empty directory.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "db_dir=/mnt/Router_Share/Media/minidlna" "db_dir=/mnt/Router_Share/.minidlna" $CONFIG
rm -r /mnt/Router_Share/Media/minidlna

exit

I'll take a look at a fix, but honestly it probably won't make the next release which I'm trying to button down.

Last edited:
....OK, I *think* I found a minor "glitch"...don't know if this is limited to other releases though.

I did enable DUAL-WAN on my AC68U and now the pulsing exclamation mark on the top right, warning me of enabled remote access services (as I enabled ftp on intranet side) is just gone....but ftp service is still reported as enabled, it is running and working fine.

regards,
Ford.

P.S.: going to explore the DUAL WAN feature now...got a LTE/4G connection as my existing cable provider delivered only 0.5% of the contracted bandwidth during the last 8 weeks. :mad:

Hi john

Just want to know if in your V7 ,security issue CVE-2014-9583 will be in it. :rolleyes:

I know, i know 376.49_5 got that fix, but im in love with your FORKs versions....

Thanx

Yes it will be in the new build because John already fixed it V6E.

Hi john

Just want to know if in your V7 ,security issue CVE-2014-9583 will be in it. :rolleyes:

I know, i know 376.49_5 got that fix, but im in love with your FORKs versions....

Thanx

Of course....it's already in the the V7 Beta.....

....OK, I *think* I found a minor "glitch"...don't know if this is limited to other releases though.

I did enable DUAL-WAN on my AC68U and now the pulsing exclamation mark on the top right, warning me of enabled remote access services (as I enabled ftp on intranet side) is just gone....but ftp service is still reported as enabled, it is running and working fine.

regards,
Ford.

P.S.: going to explore the DUAL WAN feature now...got a LTE/4G connection as my existing cable provider delivered only 0.5% of the contracted bandwidth during the last 8 weeks. :mad:

Interesting....I always hated that exclamation mark. My first opinion was that something like that should warn me of a problem, not that it disagreed with a setup choice I had made. The second opinion I had is that with the wide range of users, I can understand why they may want to warn you that a choice you made could have ramifications. Since I argued with myself, I never did anything to change it.:)

If you get the chance, can you do the following (these control whether the exclamation point is active)....

nvram get st_ftp_mode
nvram get st_ftp_force_mode

Good luck with the Dual WAN. From everything I've read 'load balance' mode works pretty well, but 'failover/failback' can be iffy. And the code is so complex and undocumented, that it's a place neither Merlin nor I will tread.

Code:
# nvram get st_ftp_mode
# nvram get st_ftp_force_mode
#

Yep, that's the combination that turns off the exclamation point. Are you sure you didn't turn off 'guest access' recently? It's really the guest access being on that drives the warning.

Yep, that's the combination that turns off the exclamation point. Are you sure you didn't turn off 'guest access' recently? It's really the guest access being on that drives the warning.

:confused:
I *never* had guest access turned on, but I had the exclamation mark come up
as soon as I enabled ftp and it was still showing before I enabled Dual WAN...

Activating telnet and resetting gives me the exclamation warning. Haven't fooled around with the guest settings.:confused:

@Ford Prefect/@cofeytm - If you click on the exclamation point it should bring up a pop-up telling you what it thinks is wrong.

I've been playing around with options that would bring up the ! warnings and so far haven't run across anything abnormal.

John, I'm surprised an old hand at tech like you isn't idling with us on IRC yet ;)

John, I'm surprised an old hand at tech like you isn't idling with us on IRC yet ;)
What is your IRC address I didnt know there was a chat room lol Wait I found Merlin http://www.dal.net:9090/ just enter chat nick and the room is called asuswrt
The only exclamation mark i get is when i don't encrypt my wireless. I only allow wireless clients that are on the MAC address allow list.
Can you bring back this page http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp so we can erase NVRAM with this command mtd-erase -d nvram
warning.jpg

Last edited:
What is your IRC address I didnt know there was a chat room lol
The only exclamation mark i get is when i don't encrypt my wireless. I only allow wireless clients that are on the MAC address allow list.
Can you bring back this page http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp so we can erase NVRAM with this command mtd-erase -d nvram
warning.jpg

The command page was removed some time back because it was a security problem i doubt John will bring it back.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!