What's new

Fritzbox 5490 exposed host or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

030basti

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

currently configuring my home wifi with two new xt8’s.

I have a fiber connection 1000/1000 and a Fritzbox 5490 from my isp that does not allow for bridge mode.

After reading a lot about the optimal setup I started with my xt8 in access point mode and connected over aimesh.

As connection speeds are less than ideal and I wanted to be able to take advantage of the advanced setting of asus being configured as router I was thinking about a different setup.

Many people seem to use the exposed host function of the Fritzbox 5490 and connect it to the wan port of the asus router. A potential problem could be double nat. Also as I have no need to access my asus router from the internet there is no real need for me to expose the host I assume.

Are there any best practices on the setup with a isp modem router combo that does not allow for bridge mode and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

My ISP's ONT doesn't support bridge mode too. It's disabled I think. But the way to workaround it is well let it be double Nat. The only addition I did was setting a static ip from my asus wan option. Then from the ONT, I DMZed my static asus router. So that the whole ports are exposed to my asus router. So basically it feels like having a bridged modem..

As for DDNS service, well Merlin's firmware already support the external IP check mode. Which works on double Nat situations and well it works for me! So in my case double Nat isn't really a problem!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!