What's new

FS: Server/NAS box $140 or $200 with Windows 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

00Roush

Very Senior Member
I recently upgraded my home server to more recent hardware so I no longer have a need for the old box.

Here is the basic setup I am looking at selling for $140

CPU: Opteron 165 (1.8 Ghz dual core)
Motherboard: Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
RAM: 2GB (2 x 1GB) Crucial CL3 DDR 400
Video Card: ATI X1800 XL
HD: 160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 20 SATA (~70 MB/sec max read/write)
CD/DVD: TDK 52X CDR IDE
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Trio 550 Watt
Case: Generic white ATX case (5 x 3.5" HD bays, 2 x 3.5" Floppy bays, 4 x 5.25" Drive bays, 1 x 120 MM case fan , and 2 x 80 MM case fans) 1 x 120 MM and 1 x 80 MM case fans are already installed
OS: I was planning to do a basic install and setup of Ubuntu Server 10.10 or FreeNAS 0.7.1 but only if needed.

Here is the Windows 7 setup for $200

CPU: Opteron 165 (1.8 Ghz dual core)
Motherboard: Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
RAM: 2GB (2 x 1GB) Crucial CL3 DDR 400
Video Card: ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
HD: 320GB WD Caviar SE16 SATA (~110 MB/sec max read/write)
CD/DVD: Name Brand DVD RW (I still need to buy one)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Trio 550 Watt
Case: Generic white ATX case (5 x 3.5" HD bays, 2 x 3.5" Floppy bays, 4 x 5.25" Drive bays, 1 x 120 MM case fan , and 2 x 80 MM case fans) 1 x 120 MM and 1 x 80 MM case fans are already installed

A couple of things I wanted to point out are the dual NICs (Marvell based and support teaming) and the 5 SATA ports available on the motherboard. For more specifics on the motherboard go here.

For my server I used the $140 configuration with the addition of one 320 GB WD SE16 drive for data and a couple more to test with. With Win XP PRO installed on the server and Vista SP1 on my client computer I regularly saw file copy speeds of 80-100 MB/sec when coping large files to/from the single data drive in the server. I just tested the $200 configuration today using a faster Hitachi HD (135 MB/sec read/write) and saw file copy speeds of 110-113 MB/sec between this machine and my new server. Just in case anyone might be wondering about power consumption. Both configurations with a single HD idle at about 105-110 watts. With the video card removed idle power goes down to around 60 watts. I have used this as a server with and without a video card with no problems. Most of the time I setup a sleep schedule and utilized the Wake On Lan feature to let the server sleep when I wasn't using it and wake up when I accessed it.

I checked shipping prices and it looks like it will be a max of about $30 to ship the whole case with hardware in an appropriate box to just about anywhere in the US. Paypal would be my preferred method of payment but other options might also be possible.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here, PM me, or e-mail me at dmaster520@msn.com

Thanks for looking,
Eric

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!