What's new

FTP (and SAMBA) security settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ags

Regular Contributor
I just upgraded from 66U to 88U. While setting up (current f/w:3.0.0.4.384_20308 ) I poked into lots of new areas. I ran the AiProtection security scan. I was astonished when it reported that I had anonymous FTP enabled and guest SAMBA access enabled.

When I investigated, looking at USB Application->FTP Share I see that "Enable FTP" is "OFF" - but "Allow anonymous login" is "ON".
Likewise, USB Application->Network Place (SAMBA Share) / Cloud Disk is also "OFF", but
"Allow guest login" is "ON".

I can certainly disable the FTP anonymous login and SAMBA guest login - but is this really a vulnerability (has it been a dangerous opening in the security of my router) until now?

Edit: While I'm at it, is it recommended to enable the (new?) protections provided by the AiProtection (==TrendMicro?) app? Specifically, Malicious Sites Blocking, Two-Way IPS and Infected Device Prevention and Blocking? Does that open up even more headaches?

Last edited:
I tend to ignore what Trend is warning about.

Warned me that default username/password needed to be changed.

Password was changed so I changed username from admin to Admin and the warning went away. :rolleyes:

If things are turned off it does not matter about access as it is off.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!