What's new

FW 3.0.0.4.260 is officially out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SLK350

Occasional Visitor
Changelog:

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260

1. Fixed IPTV related issues.
2. Locally administered mac address UI issue in mac filter, parental control, manually assign IP.
3. Upgrade download master to 3.1.0.68
4. Enhance UI response time
5. Fixed FAT32 related issue
6. Fixed the compatibility issue in IE8
7. To work with download master 3.1.0.68 the tool must upgrade to DM2_2035
8. Please download the tool in the download master help page and install again.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-AC66U&p=11&s=2

Does anyone have any problems with this fw ?
I updated from RMerlins fw .19 to this anf get disconnects on the wifi 5 GHz band.

Changelog:

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260

1. Fixed IPTV related issues.
2. Locally administered mac address UI issue in mac filter, parental control, manually assign IP.
3. Upgrade download master to 3.1.0.68
4. Enhance UI response time
5. Fixed FAT32 related issue
6. Fixed the compatibility issue in IE8
7. To work with download master 3.1.0.68 the tool must upgrade to DM2_2035
8. Please download the tool in the download master help page and install again.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-AC66U&p=11&s=2

Sorry, my bad.
The newer "b" build still use the older wireless driver because of some stability issues.
However this doesn't go for the AC.
Forget I asked. :eek:

No problem , starts to get confusing with a special .19b for the RT-N66U but just a .19 for the AC66U. Guess I have to wait for RMerlins fw version based on the .260 to see if the problem is solved by that.

Sorry, my bad.
The newer "b" build still use the older wireless driver because of some stability issues.
However this doesn't go for the AC.
Forget I asked. :eek:

I cant update my router firmware.

I've already tried the latest Merlin, the latest from asus, but my router remains on 3.0.0.4.220.18 no matter what I do.

Any idea why?

Make sure you aren't mixing up N66U and AC66U.

Also try rebooting your router first - it might be too low on free RAM to accept the update.

Issues with this firmware

Problems with wireless signal on this firmware, went back to 240, problem gone with the wireless.

5ghz seems to be working ok for me. I've been testing it for the last few hours on my iPhone 5.

I upgraded from .164.

1. rebooted router
2. flashed .260
3. did the mtd-erase -d nvram trick
4. rebooted
5. re-entered all my settings.

I'm glad to see QoS and VPN seems fixed and doesn't hose the wifi. So far I'm really happy with .260.

Problems with wireless signal on this firmware, went back to 240, problem gone with the wireless.

Where did you find .240? I can find .220, .246, and .260 (and some older builds) for the RT-AC66U, and .260, .246, and .202 for the RT-AC66R.

I'm running an RT-AC66R with .246 and am encountering similar issues (I think -- daily problems that require a router reboot). I'm using the 5GHz band. The router's web interface isn't seeing .260 yet -- says I still have the latest -- but I suppose I could try a manual download+upgrade of .260. The feedback here seems not so good, though..

"did the mtd-erase -d nvram trick"

What is this trick ?

To clear the memory where the router settings are stored (nvram), one way is to telnet into the router as admin user, and issue the command "mtd-erase -d nvram" command followed by the "reboot" command. You generally do this after upgrading firmware, and as a result of clearing the old firmware settings need to manually re-enter your settings.

Does anyone have any problems with this fw ?

Apart from the fact that the firmware for this unit has a long way to go before even being considered as a milestone release:

1. DNSMASQ / DHCP service is unusable, can't ping dhcp clients, the manual ip assignment feature does not work, multiple listings of the same client, duplicate DNS listing etc.. (This also applies to Merlin's version) - had to setup a DAP/DHCP service on my NAS (DNSMASQ+DNSSEC).
2. Wifi Performance is subpar, RT-N66U still rules - Wifi driver still in development
3. Runs very hot when amping Tx to 100mw - back to 80mw for now
4. Slow gateway access on HTTPS
5. Basic Wifi setting and setup features :(

Cheers

Apart from the fact that the firmware for this unit has a long way to go before even being considered as a milestone release:

1. DNSMASQ / DHCP service is unusable, can't ping dhcp clients, the manual ip assignment feature does not work, multiple listings of the same client, duplicate DNS listing etc.. (This also applies to Merlin's version) - had to setup a DAP/DHCP service on my NAS (DNSMASQ+DNSSEC).
Cheers

Those issues have been resolved for me around build 220 when they switched dhcpd. Make sure you do setup a local domain (I use lostrealm.lan for example). I can both ping and resolve local computers using computername.lostrealm.lan on my LAN, using the router's DNS proxy.

Here's an example, over an OpenVPN tunnel even (I'm currently at work):

C:\Users\er1sa>nslookup camelot.lostrealm.lan
Server: www.asusnetwork.net
Address: 192.168.10.1

Name: camelot.lostrealm.lan
Address: 192.168.10.100

IP reservation works fine for me as well, half of my LAN is using it.

Those issues have been resolved for me around build 220 when they switched dhcpd. Make sure you do setup a local domain (I use lostrealm.lan for example). I can both ping and resolve local computers using computername.lostrealm.lan on my LAN, using the router's DNS proxy.

Strange... The router came out of the box with the power light blinking slowly (yet another of Asus's known quality control issues) and the CFE restore page was the first thing that loaded via a browser. Setting up a local domain lan and the correct workgroup was among the first 5 actions I made when setting up this router. I also tried flashing/testing your .246.20 then Asus's .260 with an nvram reset/erase after each flash - no dice. I could only ping manually assigned devices with dhcp enabled on the clients and that too was a hit and miss. Also tried pinging the client hostname as well as the hostname with local domain ie. vault and vault.maison.lan (which wouldn't matter with a proper dnsmasq installation)

One another thing - I was getting 100% misses while having ipv6 enabled.

Did you try enabling IPv6 with your setup? If your ISP does not support IPv6 yet, then try Tunnel 6 to 4 and enter google's IPv6 DNS Servers and try pinging your localhosts again - don't have this issue with the RT-N66U unit. I had to disable IPv6 as it was interfering with the operation of the DAP/DHCP/DNS service ie. unknown hosts

Last edited:
Strange... The router came out of the box with the power light blinking slowly (yet another of Asus's known quality control issues) and the CFE restore page was the first thing that loaded via a browser. Setting up a local domain lan and the correct workgroup was among the first 5 actions I made when setting up this router. I also tried flashing/testing your .246.20 then Asus's .260 with an nvram reset/erase after each flash - no dice. I could only ping manually assigned devices with dhcp enabled on the clients and that too was a hit and miss. Also tried pinging the client hostname as well as the hostname with local domain ie. vault and vault.maison.lan (which wouldn't matter with a proper dnsmasq installation)

One another thing - I was getting 100% misses while having ipv6 enabled.

Did you try enabling IPv6 with your setup? If your ISP does not support IPv6 yet, then try Tunnel 6 to 4 and enter google's IPv6 DNS Servers and try pinging your localhosts again - don't have this issue with the RT-N66U unit. I had to disable IPv6 as it was interfering with the operation of the DAP/DHCP/DNS service ie. unknown hosts

There was indeed a batch of RT-AC66U that seem to have shipped with a corrupted (or missing?) firmware. Asus has been aware of it back then, I don't know if they eventually traced it back to a specific batch or something.

I'm running a HurricaneElectric 6in4 tunnel full time on my router without problem. My Facebook and Youtube visits are all going through the tunnel (I use a Chrome extension that shows a little "6" in the address bar when accessing a site over IPv6). And pinging devices on the local network works fine.

Pinging my Cisco ATA from my main desktop:

C:\Users\Merlin>ping spa112.lostrealm.lan

Pinging spa112.lostrealm.lan [192.168.10.2] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.10.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.10.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

I'm running a HurricaneElectric 6in4 tunnel full time

Hmmmm... I'm on SixXS - I'll try HE later tonight and see if that changes anything.

Any news on when the source of .260 and updated wifi driver would be released?

Cheers.

Hmmmm... I'm on SixXS - I'll try HE later tonight and see if that changes anything.

Any news on when the source of .260 and updated wifi driver would be released?

Cheers.

No new info that I can share at this time, sorry. So I ended up making a new release based on 246 rather than wait for the next release, as I have no ETA at this time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!