What's new

Gain remote access to RT-AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Buy Smart Plugs. I use them for other devices. Smart Plugs also have schedule options.

Have to be careful though, some smart plugs rely on the internet for their timers, and others store that setting locally. If the internet is down, it may not cycle. Finding out which are which can be hard (sometimes just have to test it). An old school dumb timer can be better, though their switch off and on can be a bit "dirtier" and possibly extra wear and tear on the power supply.

Have to be careful though, some smart plugs rely on the internet for their timers, and others store that setting locally. If the internet is down, it may not cycle. Finding out which are which can be hard (sometimes just have to test it). An old school dumb timer can be better, though their switch off and on can be a bit "dirtier" and possibly extra wear and tear on the power supply.
Smart Plugs are the best option for him. Do you think I recommend him without any exp about it? I'm using them like I said. Schedule? TP-LINK Smart Plugs don't use a cloud system for the Schedule. It uses a memory chip. It works great even if there is no internet connection.

Smart Plugs are the best option for him. Do you think I recommend him without any exp about it? I'm using them like I said. Schedule? TP-LINK Smart Plugs don't use a cloud system for the Schedule. It uses a memory chip. It works great even if there is no internet connection.

I'm agreeing with you, just mentioning that I've seen some that totally rely on the cloud and without internet the timer doesn't work (stupid design). So just worth noting and at least testing to make sure it functions. The smart plug (with local memory) is the best solution as the relay is a much "cleaner" on/off than an old school analog timer (digital ones are fine though).

If you've tested and confirmed on a specific brand (TP-Link) and model - maybe post the model number so they can buy that specific one? I have a couple TP Links but they are still in the box, never tried them (they were like $3 around black friday on amazon last year). I would be suspicious of Wyze, I have wyze cameras and the schedules on them rely on the internet, it is not stored locally. Their plugs may be different, but don't know.

I'm agreeing with you, just mentioning that I've seen some that totally rely on the cloud and without internet the timer doesn't work (stupid design). So just worth noting and at least testing to make sure it functions. The smart plug (with local memory) is the best solution as the relay is a much "cleaner" on/off than an old school analog timer (digital ones are fine though).

If you've tested and confirmed on a specific brand (TP-Link) and model - maybe post the model number so they can buy that specific one? I have a couple TP Links but they are still in the box, never tried them (they were like $3 around black friday on amazon last year). I would be suspicious of Wyze, I have wyze cameras and the schedules on them rely on the internet, it is not stored locally. Their plugs may be different, but don't know.
I don't recommend KASA Series. KASA will be merged into TAPO. TP-LINK is selling 2 brands for Smart devices. The old one is KASA. The new one is TAPO. They have KASA app and TAPO app. They are incompatible each other. TP-LINK said that KASA will be merged into TAPO someday.
TAPO P105, 1800W, 15A. I recommend this one.
TAPO P100: 1200W, 10A
Wyze? I never use Wyze. Almost all of their products have backdoors and vulnerabilities. And they are easy to be hacked. They never fix it or fix it years later.🤣 Wyze is just a Chinese vendor disguised as a US manufacturer.

Wyze? I never use Wyze. Almost all of their products have backdoors and vulnerabilities. And they are easy to be hacked. They never fix it or fix it years later.🤣 Wyze is just a Chinese vendor disguised as a US manufacturer.

What do you think TP Link is??

Wyze is no more or less secure than any other IOT device (actually due to the bad PR from that one bleepingcomputer article that you obviously also read, their security is now a lot better than most). That flaw required someone to be on your wifi or also hack your router to open port 80 inbound. In reality I wish they hadn't fixed it as now you can't do anything local, no RTSP and viewing saved videos always has to stream via the cloud.

Contrary to popular rumors your video is not run through Chinese military servers, it is hosted in AWS US.

I did my research. Ring has actually had much worse vulnerabilities that have actually been exploited (no confirmed cases of any widespread exploits of anything with wyze) but because they're amazon everyone just thinks they must be safe. Amazon spies on you far more than China does, and you agree to it right in the EULA.

The only backdoor documented was one where a guy physically and painstakingly updated the camera with a custom firmware. I'd probably notice someone with a ladder and laptop on the side of my house.

But regardless, any IOT device is on a totally isolated network in my house, I even add additional ebtables and iptables rules to harden it even further. If someone manages to gain access to cars driving by or the mailman walking up to my door, they can knock themselves out.

What do you think TP Link is??

Wyze is no more or less secure than any other IOT device (actually due to the bad PR from that one bleepingcomputer article that you obviously also read, their security is now a lot better than most). That flaw required someone to be on your wifi or also hack your router to open port 80 inbound. In reality I wish they hadn't fixed it as now you can't do anything local, no RTSP and viewing saved videos always has to stream via the cloud.

Contrary to popular rumors your video is not run through Chinese military servers, it is hosted in AWS US.

I did my research. Ring has actually had much worse vulnerabilities that have actually been exploited (no confirmed cases of any widespread exploits of anything with wyze) but because they're amazon everyone just thinks they must be safe. Amazon spies on you far more than China does, and you agree to it right in the EULA.

The only backdoor documented was one where a guy physically and painstakingly updated the camera with a custom firmware. I'd probably notice someone with a ladder and laptop on the side of my house.

But regardless, any IOT device is on a totally isolated network in my house, I even add additional ebtables and iptables rules to harden it even further. If someone manages to gain access to cars driving by or the mailman walking up to my door, they can knock themselves out.
TP-Link is little bit better. TP-Link doesn't disguise as a US manufacturer like Wyze does. A lot of Chinese companies are heading to US to avoid US sanctions against China. There is no difference between Paper companies and Chinese companies in disguised.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!