What's new

Gigabit Network Decisions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you guys for all your help. It WAS crazy. I live in FL and perhaps there were some storm issues. In anycase, I just got several UPS's for the network and components now. Wondering if Lightning went through the line or something.

I just ran a test and I got ~60MB/sec to the computer that is 2 switches deep so SUCCESS! That WAS at about 20 as well before this (If that sometimes).

As for the NAS..the speeds aren't an issue after I get everything synced and it is only syncing changes...it is just that I have to do a 1.5 TB sync initially and it is taking FOREVER which is how I saw I had an issue. Dont think I will spend any money on that as I am also backing up via LiveDrive and the NAS is only for incremental updates now.

One thing I am going to do is take the drive out of the NAS and sync the contents with the computer directly hooked into the PC first, then I will put it back in the NAS and go from there.

NOW... onto looking at turning a spare PC into a standalone Itunes media server!!! Joy.

One thing I am going to do is take the drive out of the NAS and sync the contents with the computer directly hooked into the PC first, then I will put it back in the NAS and go from there.
DON'T!!! You can't do that. The filesystem on the NAS is not NTFS. All you will do is destroy everything you have on the NAS.

And Florida has some pretty bad thunderstorms. So I wouldn't be surprised if a surge was responsible for all the bad gear.

Youch... So I cant read a Sata drive through the PC from the NAS?

Ugh... So my only option to get information off of the NAS is via network huh?

Or copy it to an NTFS or FAT formatted USB drive and move that over to the PC

I just ran a test and I got ~60MB/sec to the computer that is 2 switches deep so SUCCESS! That WAS at about 20 as well before this (If that sometimes).

Now that is what I am talking about!! That is great to hear. I kinda figured you might see some better results when transferring between your two Windows 7 computers.

NOW... onto looking at turning a spare PC into a standalone Itunes media server!!! Joy.

Just a Itunes media server? Why not use it as a file server too? On the note of Itunes server, can't you use your ReadyNAS Duo for that?

00Roush

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!