What's new

Got a big property to cover? Try this! (Ubiquiti PowerAP-N mini review)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NJWeb,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been dealing with some re-possessed real estate woes (be careful who you lend to...) Sorry I can't help you on the firewall hardware configuration for the PowerAP-N. I am relying on my built-in Apple software setup, which is less secure than also configuring a firewall in a router. The only thing I can suggest is a visit to the ubiquiti web site and ask for some firewall setup help. Take a look here:

http://ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26164&highlight=firewall

It would be nice if the device shipped with some basic firewall instructions or a basic pre-stored firewall setup that could be tailored a bit to secure your local network from unwanted outsiders.

My unit remains bulletproof (only one power cycle in 5 months of use) and it has great range and steady throughput performance for all of my client devices; it is much superior to my Netgear and Cisco predecessor routers.

Let me know if you come up with some basic or intermediate firewall setup instructions.

Mangusta1969,
Sorry about the real estate woes.
I don't want to pry but assume you lent someone funds (ie "be careful whom you lend to" comment) and the real estate that was used as collateral was re-possessed when they defaulted on the overall loan.
Anyway, I hope it worked out as well as possible under the circumstances.

No worries re. the firewall.
I checked the forums a few times previously, including last week, and saw a few threads asking about it but did not see much feedback.
I will post there if I decide to get it.

In the meantime, I submitted an RMA for my Zyxel NBG5715 but am keeping the three extra 8dBi antennae I bought (not worth returning due to the restocking fee, initial shipping and return shipping that would be incurred representing a good percentage of the purchase price.
I also plan to keep them to try with the Ubiquiti or other wireless device that has external antenna connections).

The main thing that has made me hesitate to get the AP-N till now is the fact that it does not offer 5 GHz.
Aside from that, I am very happy with the stability of my E4200 (the E4200's built-in firewall is a bonus relative to the AP-N but not a show stopper) and now that I have the RE1000 range extender, I get great signal strength throughout the house (4 bars even on the absolute furthest possible point relative to the router).
I have not needed to reboot my E4200 (aside from firmware upgrades of course) and my wireless connection almost never drops even after hours of playing online games that report even a poor connection to the peer servers as a "disconnect" (as evidenced when using my prior router). I have gone weeks (or even a month) without a disconnect.

[NOTE - Even without the RE1000 I am able to connect to the network with high link rates, albeit with a weak signal, from those tough spots. I just feel more comfortable when the signal strength is higher to ensure better wireless link stability].
Since I only use my network for internet and streaming, and not copying large files, I don't mind if the range extender is cutting throughput.
My link speeds are actually what they were before adding the range extender, perhaps since I have a mixed network (thanks to one G device - Logitech Squeezebox Boom) which by default is limited to a maximum of 150 Mbps anyway.

It would be nice if some manufacturer came out with a concurrent dual band router like the E4200 (in terms of performance) with external antennae for the far reaches of the house.
The Zyxel does not seem to be that product (I should note that the Zyxel ships with dual band antennae and that I used 2.4 GHz antennae - I don't know if that matters since I only tested 2.4 GHz anyway, unless the typical after-market external antenna is more geared to wireless G (most of the reviews seems to be by users of wireless G devices).

Last edited:
I just feel more comfortable when the signal strength is higher to ensure better wireless link stability
Some few WiFi routers display the received signal strength FROM the clients. As as been said, a megawatt WiFi router won't mitigate issues with a client device that has far, far less transmitter power. The link is two-way! So looking at received signal strength TO the client is only half the story.

Some few WiFi routers display the received signal strength FROM the clients. As as been said, a megawatt WiFi router won't mitigate issues with a client device that has far, far less transmitter power. The link is two-way! So looking at received signal strength TO the client is only half the story.

Right, that is actually precisely why I was considering a router with external antennae.
The high dBi antennae can help to better receive ("hear") the signal emitted by the client in case the client is either far from the router, emitting a weak signal, the router does not have great receiving ability or any combination of the three.

I too now have the PowerAP N and I will say it is very easy to setup, (much easier than the E1200 I struggled through all the goofy menus. Plus the guest AP was not functional in bridge mode so half the reason i purchased it was lost.

The range on this thing is awesome. I ended up putting it upstairs and the coverage from the 2nd floor fully covers the entire 2nd floor plus the patio/backyard that I was lacking in my other setups.

The cisco had an issue where it was 5 bars in the room with the router but dropped off to 1-2 as soon as I went onto the patio (the adjacent area). and the drop-off was exponential after that. The ubiquiti device maintained 3+ bars in the same location but still didn't stretch to the pool like I wanted. (full disclosure: large stone arches and fireplace between the patio/pool that hindered the signal) moving the device to the 2nd floor better covered that portion of the house and now bathes the backyard/pool as well. I didn't even need to worry with antennae aiming or transmit power. this thing is a beat out of the box.

my old wrt54gs2 that was upstairs now is downstairs in the trouble spot from before and fills that small gap caused by all the stone blocking in the main part of the house.

I say if you need the coverage this device did what 2 others could not. now I'm flush with wifi across 1,6,11 with no holes I can detect.

glad I found this site and the recommendation for this device.

Shawn

Thanks for posting your personal experiences with the AP-N in detail!

Some of you guys sound like you work for Ubiquiti....

I too am considering purchasing this AP and have been doing some research on it. For those of you who are unfamiliar, iptables can be pretty confusing at first. When you get basic understanding, it's not so bad but be advised that there is a bit of a learning curve there. However, there are many tutorials on it thanks to your friends in the Linux community. Another option would be, as I read in another post from a gentleman who could not grasp iptables, would be flash the firmware with dd-wrt. I have done this with a few cheap routers in the past to maximize their performance. It's not hard to do and it works great! And it is very well documented. That's just another option to consider.
I think I am going to go ahead and take the plunge and buy the Ubiquiti tonight. Have fun and good luck to you fellas.

Last edited:
still a current product?

I looked on the Ubiquiti website for this product and could only find it under "support". Is it no longer a current product?

I just sold the "retired" E4200 on CraigsList today, too and will probably pick up a spare PowerAP-N while they are still available and under $100 here in the US:)
banner.png

Apparently the AP-N is EOL, so it's going to be harder to get - and spendier as supply and demand push the cost up on that device...

Hi im looking for a strong router to replace the old one I have.
since I barely get 1-2 bars in my room, the house is a 1 story nothing fancy. wall are made out of concrete block. I estimate my room to be around 29'from the AP with about 3 walls.

I was looking into this router but what concern me is that is discontinued. there for I dont know if I should get it or go for something newer like the Belkin N750 DB, Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H, ASUS RT-N66U, TP Link TL-WR1043ND etc

BTW I dont have anything on the 5ghz range at this time, nor do I have fancy wifi cards on laptops. I also have one ipod touch that I use alot on wifi.

Should I get this router?
Thanks.

Last edited:
it seem they clone this router with the name UltraRouter
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/networking/power-ap.php

That sure looks like the Ubiquiti PowerAP-N, at a little higher price.

I don't know why Ubiquiti is discontinuing production of the PowerAP-N, as it has only been on the market for one year. My unit continues to have excellent range and reliability. I just bought two more PowerAP-N routers (both as spares) from suppliers at Amazon. I would suggest you do the same, before they become impossible to purchase new. As I understand it, the PowerAP-N is still using the same AirRouter operating system with its other routers, so I don't think PowerAP-N users will be "orphaned" for some time.

I just had the top of the line Charter cable router and a new ATT Uverse router installed in my house, as I am upgrading my ISP speed from 6mbps to 15mbps. Neither the Charter nor the ATT router's wireless performance came close to working in my large house, so I have just connected the PowerAP-N with a Cat5 cable to the Charter router.

The PowerAP-N is providing all of my wireless service and has achieved speeds of 25-30mbps down and 3.5mbps up with my new Charter Cable ISP, although typical download speeds (measured by speedtest.net) are 16-22mbps. My operational distances at these speeds are 100-250 feet to several Apple laptops, two network capable LG DVD players and a couple of HP laptop PCs. The wireless signals must go through a number of walls and 2-3 floors in my old Victorian house. The wireless signals to the two HP laptops have to penetrate two exterior frame house walls and travel 100 feet across a tree-filled yard to another outbuilding.

No, I don't work for Ubiquiti, either. I am a mostly retired electronics engineer.

I order the Ubiquiti from another page since amazon wont sent it here.

I was also looking at this one closely
http://www.premiertek.net/products/networking/PL-APN.html
It can be had for $56 and it seem nice. But I read that the firmware upgrade from Ubiquiti will support IPv6.
This would be interesting if this is the same guts in a different form factor. Several reviews on it seem very positive, so maybe Ubiquiti is licensing this under different brand names too???

This would be interesting if this is the same guts in a different form factor. Several reviews on it seem very positive, so maybe Ubiquiti is licensing this under different brand names too???
More likely that other companies are using the same OEM/ODM hardware.

I know of one product manufacturer x that used (past tense) Ubiquiti's radio module- inside the box made by x.
Ubiquity dropped the module product. Vendor x was hosed. This stuff happens. But Ubiquity is a very unusual company - runs well beyond lean. No customer interfaces at either sales or tech. level other than user forum.
For 2.4 or 5.8GHz bridges, I've successfully used Engenius on several projects.

Why is this still a sticky?

This product is not available for purchase as new - there may be some on Craigslist/EBay, but this is an end-of-life product.

just asking...