What's new

GT-AXE16000 UNII-4 Question ( wireless backhual XT8s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronan_zj

Hi,

I am wondering if Asus would enable UNII-4 to AXE16000 Router in future?

Here is my current setup AXE16000 + 2 XT8s ( wireless backhaul). Without the UNII-4 Supoort, the maximum PHY speed I could get is around 1100 Mbps ( 80Mhz, because all channels under 160Mhz are DFS). However, I used to have AX11000Pro, and when I paired AX11000Pro with XT8s the maximum wireless backhal could reach 1800Mbps ( 160Mhz and UNII-4).

Thus, I feel like I have a downgraded setup by upgrading my main roter from AX11000Pro to AXE16000 unless AXE16000 would enable UNII-4.

My realistic expectations:

If it wasn't there at FCC certification time - most likely never coming.
it sounds like if the router has 6G radio, then Asus woult bother to enable the UNII4 on the 5G radio. ( even my old XT8 has UNII4 enabled)

I actually deleted my post above because Asus actions are unpredictable lately. This GT-AXE16000 flagship model had to receive priority attention, but this is not the fact. For your setup GT-AX11000 Pro is the better fit anyway. Not sure how much of an upgrade is a single 6GHz radio in AiMesh setup with up to 5GHz nodes.

I actually deleted my post above because Asus actions are unpredictable lately. This GT-AXE16000 flagship model had to receive priority attention, but this is not the fact. For your setup GT-AX11000 Pro is the better fit anyway. Not sure how much of an upgrade is a single 6GHz radio in AiMesh setup with up to 5GHz nodes.

I am not sure if Asus still consider GT-AXE16000 on its priority list since new BE routers are released. I am not sure how hard to enable the UNII-4 to AXE16000 because even XT8 could get this update and I think XT8 was release earlier than AXE16000, so the AXE16000 hardware should be ready for that. If Asus consider ppl should use 6G radio for wireless backhaul, then it probably won't enable it on this model.

All I can say is your duplicated thread in ASUSWRT- Official forum is not needed. There is no Asus representative here to answer your question.

ASUS enabled U-NII-4 on the XT8s about two years ago. If they haven't done it by now for AXE16000, I'd say it's a safe bet that they won't ever. Maybe the chipset on that device can't support those frequencies.

I am not sure if I read this wrong, but in the GT-AXE16000 feature page, it says 3 160Mhz channels, and when I over lay the imae to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi 6 band, it does look like the 3rd channel is UNII-4.

Attachments

• 2024-04-28_20-37-14.jpg
    2024-04-28_20-37-14.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 11
Does look like that, doesn't it? Although I would not put a lot of faith in that graphic being 100% accurate, because they obviously didn't vet it very carefully --- e.g. the channel counts at the left make no sense.

One thing you could check is whether AIMesh on the AXE16000 lets you explicitly select the U-NII-4 frequencies as the channel for the 5GHz-2 radio. If not, then pretty graphics or no, the feature isn't enabled.

Here is the update,
I contacted Asus tech support, and I was provided wrong information by them regarding the UNII-4 in the United States.
"Due to regional regulatory restrictions, regions that do not support UNII-4 may not support UNII-4 band.
So maybe even if you buy a product that supports the UNII-4 band, you still can't use the UNII-4 band
For example, in the United States, subsequent firmware updates to GT-AXE16000 will not support UNII-4 due to regulations that do not support UNII-4 channels."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!