What's new

GT-AXE16000 WiFi Poor Upload Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know what it is. The same was reported for other Asus routers in the past. Some had upload issues for a very long time with specific ISPs and I remember Asus attempted a firmware fix some time ago. How successful it is/was - I don't know. I personally can't test or reproduce this behavior due to my asymmetric ISP situation.

I never said the issue is present on all Asus routers and with all ISPs. Be happy you don't have it. Otherwise nothing much you can do to fix it.

Verizon subscribers as an example had similar WAN speed related (upload) issue resulting in this Asuswrt changelog with one of the updates:

1706463168982.png

It was with RT-AX86U/S model routers some time ago. Since then the complaints here on SNB Forums stopped and I'm assuming the issue was fixed.

Last edited:
Reading that old FiOS upload problem threads, it was a bit different. There, the issue affected ethernet as well and users were getting abysmal uploads, like 1-2mbps. I'm getting 945 mbps upload on ethernet just fine, it's the WiFi upload side that's problematic. I know the router itself as well as the devices connecting to it are perfectly capable of 900+ mbps upload intranet, it's just sending that traffic through FiOS over WiFi that's causing issues. It's pretty clear to me that the problem exists somewhere between the radio drivers and the WAN connection, but is it a software problem or a hardware one. That I do not know. I can't imagine a scenario where an ethernet WAN connection could be to blame when it works flawlessly over ethernet on the same router, but magically causes problems over WiFi. It must be the router to blame.

With your speeds I wouldn't waste any time investigating this "issue". It has no impact on user experience whatsoever for phones, tablets and perhaps other mobile devices where power efficiency comes before performance. If you want guaranteed speeds on stationary devices like computers and gaming consoles - go wired. Nothing Wi-Fi can beat Ethernet reliability. If not possible - you have to live with what you get. The forum is full of speed test troubleshooting. Sorry, I'm out of this conversation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!