What's new

guest network ac51u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

okey

Occasional Visitor
I have got sky fibre broadband and i want to add a guest network to this as when we have partys certain people who are logged into my wifi start sending music to my airplay / dlna devices as they think its funny, lol

I have purchased a asus RT-AC51U router and using the wan port connected it to my sky hub (not sky q)

I am trying to set it up as an access point and it all works fine, but if i enable guest and use another phone and login to the guest network i can still see all my network and airplay / dlna devices

I have anabled AP in the profesional tab but still the same

hope you can help

Guest network does not work when in AP mode. You need to run it in Router mode. AP mode just passes whatever comes in to the real router doing the processing

Oh right, thanks for quick reply, that explains that then, thanks

I have the sky router downstairs and the asus upstairs run via a lan cable, if i use this in router mode then and use the same ssid & password as the sky router would this make the wifi better upstairs, ie . would a phone or tablet connect to the asus or the sky ???

if you use it in router mode, you will create an additional problem of double NAT. While this is not such a big issue, it is not advisable. Also, for clients to switch to the strongest signal wherever you are, you need devices capable of that. For Android, there's an app that can do it (called "WIFI Switcher"). For others, I don't know

I would suggest setting your Sky router to bridge mode and using the ASUS for the routing, and hooking up APs in each place you need them to the ASUS. Then you can use Guest network isolation

Right, is it relatively easy to put sky router into bridge mode as this does sound like the best idea

I don't know, look into its settings

ok, does anyone know if there is a easy cheap way of adding a full guest network to my sky sr102 hub.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!