What's new

Guest WIFI on second router not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mensa

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I have router1 (without using wifi) connected LAN to LAN to router2.
On router2 I use wifi (for my home network) and it works fine.
Now I created a virtual wifi for guests, but the clients can't access the internet.

Router1:
IP br0: 192.168.1.1

Router2:
IP br0: 192.168.1.99
IP br1: 192.168.2.1

The clients which are connected to the guest wifi can ping 192.168.2.1 but not 192.168.1.99 and also not 192.168.1.1 (which is the internet gateway).

How can I allow guests virtual wireless on router2 to only access the internet and not my private network? Could you please help me? I read so many threads now, but still did not get it to work.

I think there is missing a firewall setting, which allows traffic to from 192.168.2.xxx to 192.168.1.1 or some routing? I tried a lot of different things from other threads, but did not get it to work. Now I reconfigured the guest wifi and removed all the old settings. My config of router2 looks like on the following screens, so what is missing / wrong?

gAcLSjy.png

weeB69S.png

0VAYF3d.png

G3sWL9g.png

nMXZ1kP.png

It is a clean install of Shibby 136 and completely erased nvram after installing. Then I only activated the guest wifi like you see on the screens. What else do I have to configure, that the guest wifi will work?

IIRC - on Tomato and variants, non-routable IP's on the WAN side cannot be vlan'ed out for guest access due to security issues (can still compromise the rest of the network) as a default.

Might have to go under the hood and muck around a bit with iptables

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!