What's new

Has any one successfully flashed dd wrt n66u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

philwoz98

Occasional Visitor
Hi I have been trying to flash dd wrt onto this router with no luck. I have been trying to use dd wrt k3 firmware builds and I can't seem to have success with it. My CFE is 1.0.2

If you have got it to work would you please post the steps and firmware that you achieved it with. Thanks in advance

dd-wrt flash to N66U

Hi Philwoz98.

Let me preface this with the fact that in no way am I a techy. I have a lot of years' experience but not a techy and the guys on here just blow me away when reading some of the stuff.

However, I have the N66U and successfully flashed to dd-wrt. So here are the steps I took.

(as an addendum, earlier versions of dd-wrt needed CFE 1.0.3 but I read that it doesn't matter with K3 builds but will only work with the N66U (B1) version).

1. Made sure that my N66U firmware was the latest.
2. Did a 30-30-30 reset - held the WPS button for 30-seconds, unplugged router whilst still holding the WPS button for another 30-seconds, plugged in the router and still held the WPS button for a further 30-seconds.
Went for a coffee while the router settled down.
3. Flashed to Merlin firmware FW_RT_N66U_3004374979.trx (to try it out)
4. Did the 30-30-30 reset as described in 2.
Let router refresh itself and had another coffee.
5. Flashed to dd-wrt dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
6. Did the 30-30-30 again.
Had another coffee while the router settled down.
7. Flashed to dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k.bin
8. Flashed to dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

You may be able to go 1-4 and then straight to 8. I went to 5,6 and 7 to see these versions of the firmware but doing all of this did give me a working dd-wrt N66U.

In the end went back to Merlin's firmware as I don't need all of the bells and whistles and it leaves me working comfortably within my own abilities and needs.

Please, please, please, seek other advice as someone with a lot more experience may advise otherwise.

Best
Paul

Last edited:
I have also flashed dd-wrt onto my rt-n66u.
After flashing dd-wrt on it you can telnet into the router and issuing erase nvram then reboot. This is in my opinion easier than the 30/30/30 reset dd-wrt recommends.
Also if you want to flash back to stock or RMerlin's change the .trx ending of the firmware to .bin and flash it using the dd-wrt GUI.

Hi Pierino

Don't want to hijack philwoz98's thread, but while we wait to hear back from him, if I want to go from the Merlin build back to dd-wrt (my VPN provider suggests I update my router because they are familiar with it), can I just flash this, or do I need to do the reset thing?

Also, and it's related, how do I use telnet to reset the nvram instead of the 30-30-30 I suggested earlier?

Thanks for your advice.

Does DD-WRT for the RT-N66U have different options to DD-WRT running on single band routers?

I run DD-WRT on my D-Link DIR-615, which is N spec, but only single band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!