What's new

Haven't bought a router in 10 years and now it's time! Which of these would you buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scheibler

New Around Here
First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this and provide your input. New here and I'm moving into a 2,220sq ft tri-level town-home with two other roommates. Buying Charter internet cable with up to 30mbps download. Charter only supplies the modem so I need to buy a wireless router. Would re-use my WGT624 that I bought in 03 to use with charter, but it's 10 years old now and needs to be rebooted daily. All of my devices are wireless G:

Gaming PC(hopefully will be wired, but has a wireless G pci card)
Laptop
PS3
3 iphones in the house

We are going to be gaming and streaming hulu/netflix/etc simultaneously as we are not buying a tv package

I don't really need or want anything fancy; don't even have a use for wireless N or 5ghz at all. Just need good reliable wireless G range that won't have to be rebooted regularly and can take advantage of the up to 30mbps

So these are the routers I am looking at, but open to suggestions:
$25 TP-Link WR841N
$52 TP-Link WR1043ND
$35 Netgear WGR614
$40 reburbished Netgear WNDR3400
$65 refurbished Asus RT-N16
$58 Asus RT-N53

Really like the cheap price of the TP-Links and majority good reviews, but they do have bad reviews too(all of them do actually). Just not sure what to go with. Not oppossed to running third party software, but would rather keep it simple with stable manufacturer software if possible. I'd also prefer to buy locally, but these prices are from amazon/newegg which I am comfortable buying from

Last edited:
Since all devices are wireless G, a basic "N300" router should do fine.

Pick one from your list that would be convenient to return and try it.

You will not be able to benefit from the 30 Mbps internet service via wireless using the new router. Maximum G throughput is 22 Mbps, more typical will be 5 - 10 Mbps. To get faster wireless, you need to upgrade client(s) to N.

Speedtest.net aside, very few Internet host servers will utilize your 30Mbps service from the ISP. On rare occasions, you might find a host that will send a big download near those speeds.

So my suggestion is don't over-buy, such as one of the $200 WiFi routers.

The $52 TP-Link WR1043ND is a favorite by many on the dd-wrt forums. Firmware choices are also a bit vast compared to the others(openwrt, dd-wrt, gargoyle, maybe others).

Won't be doing any transfers or using N at all as everything is G. Do you guys think the Netgear WNR2000 N300 is good enough or should I spring for the WNDR3700 for double the price?