What's new

Having trouble accessing second router via computer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webcan

Occasional Visitor
HI ! I have 2 router in series that Wan to Lan where as my primary router has in lan port connected to the secondary wan..

For some reason I cannot access the secondry from my browsers 192.168.3.1 ( primary is 192.168.1.1 )
In order to connect to the secondary router I have to either conncect my WIFI from a laptop or directly.

What should I check?

I have inserted a pic of my diagram. is there is other info needed plz let me know and I will insert it..

Hotspot%20Wiring%20Diagram1.fw.png

When you see multiple routers in a textbook about networking, they always tell you to adjust the routing table so router A knows what to do when a message is directed towards router B and vice versa, assuming two different subnets ... which is what is depicted above. Personally, I've never done this but it's supposed to be pretty common in the enterprise. They teach you how in CCNA training if you do the labs.

Otherwise you're double natted. The inside network can go out to the internet and back because SPI controls it. Otherwise nobody can get to the inside network without port forwarding. Going from the inside network to the outside network, but not on the internet, would seem difficult.

I had this working before thought. and I did not play with nats tables or anything..

This could work of everyone was on the same subnet and Router 1 was only an access point. Different subnets are used to create separation. If it were easy to communicate among them, then something would be wrong.

BTW, a lot of routers allow you to use the WAN port as port 5 if the router is set up as an access point. My R6300V2 is a wireless access point and Netgear recommends the WAN port be used as the port to connect the access point to the main router.

You've connected the router to the WAN port. Set the router to either bridging or use the LAN port

HI! Thank for responce,
1: I still cannot access the router 1 via my main computer and now I cannot access either from my laptop via WIFI and my Access point to is now in Repeater mode.
2: However now the WIFI camera is now working again in Blueiris server which indicates that info from WIFI is gettting to my computer from Router 1.

What should I do now?

You can place everything on the same subnet and not use the router's WAN port or you can still not use the router's WAN port and set up static routes between the router.
For example
Router 0: (assuming it has IP of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.3.2)
Network Gateway Mask wieghtage
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 0
192.168.3.0 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0 0
0.0.0.0 192.168.88.1.1 0.0.0.0 1

Router 1: (assuming it has IP of 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.1.2)
192.168.3.0 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 0
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 0

This could work of everyone was on the same subnet and Router 1 was only an access point. Different subnets are used to create separation. If it were easy to communicate among them, then something would be wrong.

BTW, a lot of routers allow you to use the WAN port as port 5 if the router is set up as an access point. My R6300V2 is a wireless access point and Netgear recommends the WAN port be used as the port to connect the access point to the main router.

I am using a Asus RT-N66U with its native firmware..( was using dd-wrt before but too many issues with this router and dd-wrt ).. Native fireware is solid..

Here is my Main router settings for LAn and Wan

Hotspot%20Main%20router%20Setting%20Lan_Wan.fw.png

You can place everything on the same subnet and not use the router's WAN port or you can still not use the router's WAN port and set up static routes between the router.
For example
Network Gateway Mask wieghtage
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 0
192.168.3.0 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0 0

Router 1: (assuming it has IP of 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.1.2)
192.168.3.0 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 0
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 0

I am not sure where 192.168.3.2 would go? is this in the LAN section or WAN section?

You have your network setup in a double NAT. This isn't necessarily a problem and can be desirable in certain circumstances.

If you want to continue to run in this mode the simplest solution if you want to administer router 1 is to go into the the admin screens for router 1 and assign it a Static WAN IP in the subnet if router 0. (192.168.1.2 would work). If you leave it in automatic mode you don't know without checking what its IP is as assigned by router 0 is.

Then to administer router 1 connect a PC to it using a cable or WiFi.

The other option is allow admin access from the WAN on router 1. This isn't recommended because it creates a huge security risk.

The simplest solution as others have suggested is use router 1 as an AP. Then everything connected to all of your routers and APs is in the same subnet.

As long as router 1 is in the same building connected locally to router 0, opening the WAN port is not a security problem because router 0 is your real firewall. With the second router you are adding another firewall for all members of router 0. If you want to maintain a firewall and block router 0 members from accessing cameras in router 1 then only open ports for your workstation IP address only, otherwise I would open the firewall on router 1 so you don't have to deal with it every time you want to access a device from router 0 to router 1. You still need a static route on router 0 as stated above so it knows where to find members of router 1.
PS
There is nothing wrong with running a flat network. The only thing is you start sharing bandwidth. Your GIG wire now becomes GIG -(minus) Camera traffic -(minus) all router 1 traffic so you are reducing your bandwidth by all the traffic from router 1 plus it adds to the response time since you are sharing the wire. This may not be a problem, it depends on the amount of data. In big companies you are not able to run flat for these kind of reasons.

Last edited:
As long as router 1 is in the same building connected locally to router 0, opening the WAN port is not a security problem because router 0 is your real firewall. With the second router you are adding another firewall for all members of router 0. If you want to maintain a firewall and block router 0 members from accessing cameras in router 1 then only open ports for your workstation IP address only, otherwise I would open the firewall on router 1 so you don't have to deal with it every time you want to access a device from router 0 to router 1. You still need a static route on router 0 as stated above so it knows where to find members of router 1.
PS
There is nothing wrong with running a flat network. The only thing is you start sharing bandwidth. Your GIG wire now becomes GIG -(minus) Camera traffic -(minus) all router 1 traffic so you are reducing your bandwidth by all the traffic from router 1 plus it adds to the response time since you are sharing the wire. This may not be a problem, it depends on the amount of data. In big companies you are not able to run flat for these kind of reasons.

1: Yes the routers are in the same building, And its NOT necessary for tenants to access the cameras directly ( they connect to blueiris webserver for cameras on the PC -- from blueiris I control access).
2: I need for the WIFI cameras to access the pc webserver though. which means they connect to a seperate SSID in the access points mesh which is suppost to go to the webserver on the pc ( This was working when I connected the Lan to Lan as "System error message" suggested.
3: I also need all clients to be able to connect to the internet through any of the access points.

The Asus RT-n66u does have a setup for access point..( As Router 1 is configure now as a "Wireless Router mode ( default ))
( in the AP mode it mentions that the DHCP assigned IP address changes and that firewall,IP sharing, and NAT are disabled. )

PLZ forgive me as I am not network savvy, I figure AP mode would most likely be good for my setup correct?

If I do choose to put the Router 1 in AP mode ( and leave Router 0 in Router mode ) do I connect Router 0 to the Router 1 Lan port or Wan port?

PS: for testing purposes I disabled my router firewalls. ( Once everything is working then I will enable them one by one )

HI ! I have 2 router in series that Wan to Lan where as my primary router has in lan port connected to the secondary wan..

For some reason I cannot access the secondry from my browsers 192.168.3.1 ( primary is 192.168.1.1 )
In order to connect to the secondary router I have to either conncect my WIFI from a laptop or directly.

What should I check?

I have inserted a pic of my diagram. is there is other info needed plz let me know and I will insert it..

Hotspot%20Wiring%20Diagram1.fw.png

To access Router#1 from the 192.168.1.x network, you need to use it's 192.168.1.y address (the address on it's WAN port). You may also need to allow access from the WAN in the Router#1 configuration if it has a firewall enabled .

To use any 192.168.3.x address from the 192.168.1.x network, you would need to define a static route on Router #0 pointing to the 192.168.1.y address.
From a command line it would be something like (replace y with the Router#1 WAN address)

ip route add 192.168.3.0/24 via 192.168.1.y

But check in the Router#0 configuration for a way to define a static route without needing to resort to using commands.

Edit: If you want to access inside the 192.168.3.x network (not just the router#1) from 192.168.1.x you would have to disable NAT on router#1 after adding the static route. Router#0 will likely do the NAT function for both routers for traffic going to the Internet.

Last edited:
If I do choose to put the Router 1 in AP mode ( and leave Router 0 in Router mode ) do I connect Router 0 to the Router 1 Lan port or Wan port?
You will need to check the manual for your router setting up AP mode. I have no experience with your model of router. If you change to AP mode your network will become flat and all IP addresses for router 1 clients will change. All router 1 clients will now have router 0 IP addresses. This may not be a problem if clients are set to DHCP just be aware. If you have any static manual IP addresses set you will need to change them to an IP address in the router 0 network scope.