What's new

HE IPv6, netflix, dnsmasq, bind, opendns, argh....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_me_myself_and_i_

Occasional Visitor
OK, lots of solutions for "I'm using Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnel and Netflix won't work" are on the Web. I picked "let dnsmasq forward queries for netflix.com to bind (compiled with AAAA filter)" as documented, here: https://www.ploek.org/post/netflix_openwrt/

After going through the pain of building the Entware-ng toolchain so I could compile bind-server for arm7 with --enable-filter-aaaa (and it was a pain), the solution worked. Yay!

Except...

I have my kids' devices going through OpenDNS via DNS-Filtering. So it seems their DNS queries don't go through my dnsmasq->netflix.com->bind-server route, and so AAAA records come back and Netflix doesn't work for them. (See screenshot of how I setup the DNS filter.)

Has anyone hit this? Any workaround?

My simple goal: Keep IPv6 working via Hurricane Electric, keep DNS Filtering active for kids' devices (no pr0n for you!), make Netflix work for the kids.

Thanks!

screenshot93.png