What's new

HELP: How to stream Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Instant outside the US?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ascanio1

Regular Contributor
Hi to everyone. Sorry for post length, I am new here so, pls, don't shoot me if I make some formal posting mistakes!

I read the stickies and searched the whole forum but could not find specific answers, please help me!

I have one main question and a few accessory questions and 2 scenarios:
Scenario A)
Max 500USD budget
Scenario B)
No budget limit - my devices are all more or less 7 years or older and it might be time to upgrade the whole setup - but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Main question: pls advice how to: stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other internet content (TV serials, documentaries, news) in Japan.

Accessory questions:
I have been told I will need a VPN. Any other solution?
Which is the fastest VPN (US to Japan)? Pls note that I want to retain all the normal internet functions and ease of use.
I was also advised to install a place shifting device (Sony Location Free or Slingshot) but I don't have a US home where to stream it from.
I was advised to install a new Netflix/Hulu enabled Media Centre but would this bypass the geographical broadcast limitations?
I was advised to download movies from internet torrents and this worked very well so far except that not all content is available and I have to copy on a USB memory stick, then transfer to the EMTEC (I have been unable to stream it from the Laptop to the EMTEC).
I was finally advised to buy a NAS (but it's not to clear what a NAS is).
Any other idea/advice? I welcome any other recommendation to add to my home entertainment enjoyment within reason... and decency! :)

Live in Japan & own:
Laptop - Vaio SZ1-VP, no HDMI, Win7 Ultimate 32
Media centre EMTEC S800, internet enabled,
AV Receiver, not internet enabled, non DLNA, 3 HDMI 1.2 inputs
Projector, 5+1 audio, DVD, cableTV (Japanese content only - useless)

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Tommaso

You will probably find the best solution for watching Netflix and Amazon is to use a VPN provider that will give you an ISP in the 50 US states. Most VPN providers charge in the neighborhood of $7 - $8 per month depending if you sign up for month to month service or for an annual contract. Select a VPN provider and try their service for a month.

I have used both HMA and StrongVPN. You can either run their software on your laptop, connect to the VPN using the settings in Windows of for the most elegant solution use a router that connects some or all of your networked devices to either your local ISP.

For ease of use you might want to consider purchasing a Roku (be sure it is purchased in the USA so it has the correct firmware and never connect it directly to your local network provider, because if you do you risk having non US firmware loaded to the Roku.) or other set top box for connecting your TV directly to your home network. If you go this route.

Currently I am using a Linksys 3000 router with Tomato software that has been rewritten by Sabi Technology. It has been set up to tightly integrate with Strong VPN. By MAC address I can set up if a device connects directly to my local ISP or to a Stong VPN server in Miami. (You would probably choose a server in either San Francisco or Seattle.)

Sabai Technology has just introduced a VPN accelerator to speed up VPN connections. If you are interested in a hardware solution and can afford the $170 for a router flashed with Tomato and perhaps the additional $299 for the accelerator go to their web site and see what they have to offer.

I have used my router from Sabai with a VPN connection to watch Netflix and Amazon videos in the Virgin Islands, St Kitts, Panama, Greece, Sweden and Turkey.

You also could flash a Linksys 54G with DD-WRT and then connect to your VPN provider. You can pick up refurbished 54G routers flashed with DD-WRT for around $40. I have done this and my experience has been that throughput hasn't been as good as with my Linksys 3000e running the modified Tomato firmware from Sabai. I have also tried setting on another 54G that was flashed with Tomato, but I bricked that router so I can't offer any speed comparisons.

You do need a steady 2 - 3 Mbs download speed for SD more for HD. PCs are better at buffering streaming video than trying to use a set top box such as a Roku.

In summary try a VPN connection on your PC. If you can stream video to it and the download speed is high enough you can consider spending money on routers and set top boxes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I love this forum!

Wow... I love this forum, people are not only knowledgeable but also very willing to help! Thanks!

@CaptainSTX,

Thanks!! I'll read your recommendations carefully and try to follow them. I'll first pick a VPN and try streaming something, and I'll keep you posted on my next step!

One more question: Do you have a good VPN comparison review for speeds? I want to pick the VPN which uses the fastest under pacific backbone carrier.

I will start with my Buffalo GIGA Airstation WZR-G300N (a Japanese version with Broadcom BCM4785@300 chipset) which I flashed with DD-WRT firmware. Or, better, I could install the test PC directly after the modem where I get 7/8 MB/s download speeds.

But I am in the midst of changing my whole network (posted another help request in "switches, NICs and cables") - I think that my best bet to remove the bandwidth limitation will be to swap my modem with a switch or smtg else. to access the full 75+ MB/s.

Once I get that speed, I would like to buy one of the new 802.11 a/c routers... (Asus or Netgear) and plug a compatible adapter to my Laptop, in turn networked to my HT Media Player. Or go the Roku way.

Either way (old Buffalo or new a/c) I'll need to separate the incoming VPN ISP band from specific content providers from the local ISP band (75+ MB/s) for normal internet surfing, and I might need your help, again!

CaptainSTX, thanks! I hope to solve my modem limitations and get back to you very soon.

Tommaso

Not to make things more complicated, but besides trying a couple of VPN providers that have servers in multiple locations world wide you also need to test various VPN protocols (Open, PPTP, LPTP ) to see how they impact your throughput.

this is in addition to running the VPN connection directly on your PC or running the VPN supplier's software.

Wow, wow, wow... Hold on... now you're going off my radar screen! Most of your advice falls into unfamiliar territory... Since you've been super helpful so far, I am pretty sure that this additional information is quite valuable too, if only I could understand it, to make best use of it.

What are the characteristics and pros/cons of these protocols? How do I deploy a VPN supplied software and what does this do?

Apologies for soliciting so much from you! But... I'm very VPN ignorant!

Tommaso

Vudu

Hi,

Also I can see Netflix without any problems. I have a problem with VUDU because they ask for a US credit card address. Has anyone found a way around that?

I want recent movies and in full HD. Netflix and Hulu are not very up to date... Any ideas?

Tommaso

A couple of possible solutions for streaming US geo restricted content outside the USA when they require a credit card with a US address:

Have the billing address on one of your credit cards changed to the address of a friend or family member that lives in the US.

A second option is to buy a prepaid, VISA, NC or AMEX card from a store that sells them in the US. They are available all over from Walmart, CVS, etc. Don't buy a gift card by mistake. Load enough cash on the card to cover your video streaming needs for awhile. If you won't be in the USA ask a friend to make the purchase for you and then mail you the card or if you trust the friend not to use the card all you need is the card number for on line purchases.

Have the billing address on one of your credit cards changed to the address of a friend or family member that lives in the US.
... I called both AmEx and Visa and I received the same 3 reasons why they would not do it:
1. Legal
2. Credit and risk system management records
3. Internal automated procedures for mailing statements etc.

A second option is to buy a prepaid, VISA, NC or AMEX card from a store that sells them in the US. They are available all over from Walmart, CVS, etc.
CUT
If you won't be in the USA ask a friend to make the purchase for you and then mail you the card or if you trust the friend not to use the card all you need is the card number for on line purchases.
Excellent idea if it is viable. I'll try. If it works you should make a sticky post of this advice!

Tommaso

[edit] wow this thread is old. [/edit]

you obviously have never heard the phrase 'it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission' lol

some additional information;

since vpn security is not a concern, i'd suggest using a pptp type vpn for better streaming performance. this can be done with openvpn, but i think most people would think you are crazy asking for openvpn using rc4. might be better if they are willing, though.

(openvpn can use quite a few different encryption ciphers. rc4 is pretty much the fastest, but least secure.)

i am a little concerned about your suggestion to swap your modem with a switch, though. before making any major hardware purchases, you may want to run it by here again or find somebody locally to assist you

Last edited:
you obviously have never heard the phrase 'it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission' lol
where did I ask for permission? To Vudu? To Visa? I dont get to what you're referring to but, being Italian, I'm very interested in the Italianness of the implication of your advice... :)

since vpn security is not a concern, i'd suggest using a pptp type vpn for better streaming performance.
What's the difference?
What's rc4?

I am now using a satisfactory, simple and cheap solution for Netflix: www.unotelly.com which only requires me to switch the DNS and which serves my purposes perfectly. Considering that I want to only stream Netflix, Vudu, Hulu etc outside the US would a VPN be a better solution? If so, why?

I am a little concerned about your suggestion to swap your modem with a switch, though. before making any major hardware purchases, you may want to run it by here again or find somebody locally to assist you
I didn't want to swap my modem with a switch. I wanted to install a better performing modem. Any advice here?

- i was referring to where you mentioned calling the credit card companies to open a card in the US, etc.

- if you don't need a vpn, this has become irrelevant, but; rc4 is the 'cipher' used for encrypting data that traverses a PPTP tunnel. rc4 is known for it's fast and light performance, but is considered to be very weak security.

- regarding DSL modems; my limited experience with dsl has left me with the impression that the modem doesn't matter significantly. DSL breaks down data into smaller chunks than cable, which i think helps in part to lower hardware requirements. I had a dsl modem that was dying, according to my ISP and despite a loss in upload speed, my overall connection was still great. I would keep the current modem unless you need to upgrade to a newer technology or unless you are renting the modem. You can get modems very cheap. This is really the only reason i'd have to buy a modem, but i think i 'own' my modem already, at this point

sorry about the very late reply

- i was referring to where you mentioned calling the credit card companies to open a card in the US, etc.
How can I not ask for a card and apologise after getting one?

... cut ... rc4 is known for it's fast and light performance, but is considered to be very weak security.
I don't see dangers in using rc4 (which I still don't really understand what it is) because I don't have sensitive information to protect but, maybe, I am missing the point, again? Sorry, I'm really ignorant about networks, VPN, tunnels, rc4... etc
Should I worry about virus? or... ?

... cut ... I would keep the current modem unless you need to upgrade to a newer technology or unless you are renting the modem. You can get modems very cheap. This is really the only reason i'd have to buy a modem, but i think i 'own' my modem already, at this point
Yes, that's one reason.
The other is that my modem has an inbuilt throughput limiter from the ISP which throttles me if other users get online at the same time.

Thanks for the help and I would appreciate if you could help me or clarify how to get the credit card and about the dangers...

sorry, i really dont think it would be good for SNB if i explained how to get a card.

the risks of RC4 encryption are mainly that it's becoming easier for other people to decrypt, thus possibly revealing your sensitive data.

the risk of getting a virus while using the vpn would be the same as not using a vpn, so no worries there.

Thanks for the advice. I tried but...
I have credit cards in Italy, Singapore and Japan. None of these cards issuers would allow me to change the billing address.

A second option is to buy a prepaid, VISA, NC or AMEX card from a store that sells them in the US.
I tried also this but, as you said, I need a friend to physically go there and buy one. So, also this solution is no-go.

Someone advised me to buy a visa gift card.
Also this did not work. I went on the Visa and Mastercard websites and they do gift cards but these:
1. don't have a Billing Address
2. don't have a CVV (card verification number)
Both are required in Vudu.

Another suggestion was to buy a giftcard on amazon.com or eBay.
Also thse, as the gift cards, do not have billing address or CVV.
Besides, Vudu only accepts Visa, Mastercard, Season, AmEx... but not Amazon or eBay.

***** please, please, please *****

Advise me how to get:

1. Visa, Mastercard, AmEx.
2. With US billing address.
3. With CVV number on the back.

Please help!

Tommaso

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!