What's new

Help in figuring out connectivity issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dylan144GT

New Around Here
Hi All,

My name is Dylan and I am new here. Thanks for having me. :)

I have a problem with my network in that every time I connect to my WiFi I need to uninstall my wireless card driver and re-scan for hardware to get it to have internet access through my router.

Now, to give you the details:

We recently move into an apartment and with the apartment comes a fiber connection. That means that there is a router in the apartment already that we could rent for an additional fee every month or we can connect our own router as an access point. We chose the latter as we have a router lying around and the extra cost makes no sense. The router provided by our ISP is an Alcatel Lucent G-241W-P and the router we have is a Huawei B970b.

I am running Windows 10 on my laptop that has an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless card. At first I thought it was Windows 10 up to its usual tricks, but I am starting to think that it is the B970b's configuration. The B970b was configured to use a 3G network (it has SIM capabilities) and we were advised by our ISP to remove the SIM and connect the B970b to the G-241W-P via network cable with no configuration changes. This works, but at present I have to reinstall my network driver every time I reconnect my computer to the network. My girlfriend experiences the same issue with her Windows 8 laptop. Interestingly though, both our android phones connect to this network with no issue. I am new to this setup, but my girlfriend says that she was able to connect to this router without any problems while it was used with a 3G ISP. When I run the Windows diagnostics tool it claims issues with the DNS server.

I hope that I have provided enough info for you to grasp my problem whilst not overloading you. Any help would be much appreciated and if additional information is needed, please ask away.

Kind regards,

Dylan

The problem is common for some cards. Simply disable and re enable the card instead of uninstalling.
It usually happens when your laptop goes to sleep or hibernate longer than the timeout for the AP. The driver still has old data and needs to be reloaded.

Consider updating drivers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!