What's new

Help! Nighthawk x4s vs Asus RT-AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Better for Gaming (QoS)?

• Total voters
there is nothing wrong with that temp and is well with operating conditions

i can assure you that you must just have got a few lemons as im on 100/40M fiber and the 88u runs smooth and flawless
i have to experience the results, i just received my x4s right now and im seting it up, i hope it performs well,. ill be updating you guys

I can't get into details but for Netgear major changes are coming... UI side. ASUS does have a great GUI currently but chipset wise the R7800 is better though I doubt you would notice too much of a difference in everyday usage.

Last edited:
lol really

clearly someone that hasnt used an asus before

Yeah there are changes coming which I have seen and I don't know why that's funny, they are listening and improving the upcoming UI based on tester feedback at the moment... NDA so I can't get into further details...... I have used ASUS routers and have had pretty good experiences with them. If putting me down makes you feel good, so be it :).

As for the R7800 & AC-88U being in different classes, how many 1024 QAM supporting clients are there in the wild?

Last edited:
so i after morethan 12 hrs of testing this is what i got, the signal strengths are better at x4s than 88u, the x4s penetrates more on the wall, where as in 88u, i dont have signal anymore when i go down (1bar using x4s), the QoS works better in x4s given my 3mbps internet and it works more in ddwrt firmware, it doesnt go above 55deg.cel even at 32deg.cel ambient temp. srsly im more happy with x4s, specially with its QoS, the asus qos doesn't work with 3mbps while the netgear does(im getting more excited for my upcoming 20/20 fibr) so that's it guys asus 88u is a great router 2thumbs up, but... the x4s really work well to me, maybe others will not get the same results as i do, but in my personal opinion, the Netgear works better for me, Case Closed! thankyou guys!! thank you for all the support

@avtella that's quite surprising due to recent and past Netgear approach, or in another words:

- They don't listen anyone and don't care about users feedback at all, just until someone leaks the exploits in the wild, then they suddently start moving.

- Netgear is still using ancient software on they're network software with legions of security flaws on it, OpenSSL 0.9.7, 0.9.8 and 1.0.0 (2005 year) is still being used on their latest routers models on the market costing $400-500, and instead changing things they simply reply users non-sense, thinking they have an S on the forehead.

Netgear improoving things? Only after see it to believe...

Last edited:
@avtella that's quite surprising due to recent and past Netgear approach, or in another words:

- They don't listen anyone and don't care about users feedback at all, just until someone leaks the exploits in the wild, then they suddently start moving.

- Netgear is still using ancient software on they're network software with legions of security flaws on it, OpenSSL 0.9.7, 0.9.8 and 1.0.0 is still being used on their latest routers models on the market costing $400-500, and instead changing things they simply reply users non-sense thinking all users have an S on the forehead.

Netgear improoving things? Only after see it to believe...

Yeah I don't blame you, looking at the past and even recent, like some of the stuff you mentioned above. I and many others have been pushing for a major UI overhaul over multiple betas telling them its a bit dated and pushing for some extra features. Even on the NAS side they have started listening a bit more to testers.

I actually think people like Voxel and you could actually make a big impact in the beta program, in terms of the "ancient software" and security issues.

They're getting work done improving on the mobile apps as well, they have modernized the Genie App UI.

One thing I did learn beta testing for different companies like Roku is that a nice chunk of testers simply suck up to the companies and "like" everything when asked for their opinion, rather than provide decent criticism or suggestions and are just there to get a free device.

Last edited:
im already a beta tester for netgear and the genie app they jut released doesnt work now with orbi , the gui is sooo slow and dated it needs a full redesign , the issue with netgear is they release stuff and it breaks other things

in terms of the "ancient software" and security issues.

you dont think netgear dont already know they use outdated and in secure coding ?

im already a beta tester for netgear and the genie app they jut released doesnt work now with orbi , the gui is sooo slow and dated it needs a full redesign , the issue with netgear is they release stuff and it breaks other things

you dont think netgear dont already know they use outdated and in secure coding ?

They're better at listening or changing in betas comparatively lol. You should have taken part in the router UI test. It still needs work but it's much faster with the overhaul not as ugly either.

Yeah the new genie had issues but I'm glad they are at least trying to improve it. Hopefully it doesn't get stuck in limbo in terms of bug fixes.

Last edited:
Was the Update is just UI refresh or more functionality. I know you are bound by nda. But it would be great if they add more applications along with the ui some things like

Traffic analytics
Task management
VPN client and server
Download manager (account saving auto detect ftp/http/ftpes/https )

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Cant say more than, its much faster and different lol.

Yeah I agree the attached devices list in the current UI has a ton of wasted space with like 2 icons per row, with 3-4 rows on screen. Over the past few betas I've been critical about it.

Last edited:
I can't get into details but for Netgear major changes are coming... UI side. ASUS does have a great GUI currently but chipset wise the R7800 is better though I doubt you would notice too much of a difference in everyday usage.

any update ? if possible screenshot pls :D

Delayed unfortunately... For the second time... Was supposed to be tested again around this time... :-(

Even if they considered it not fit for release it was still better than the crap UI we have now responsiveness/consistency wise. Layout was also much better.

Last edited:
oh :(

bdw I'm also going with x4s route :D

currently using r6220 mediatek soc , main problem is streaming ... so much lag ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!