What's new

Help recommend my personal NAS Strategy (home use); backup/HDD options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmarson

Occasional Visitor
Hello all. I just purchased a Synology 212j, 2-drive NAS unit that I will be configuring with 2x 2TB Hard Drives. This will be used in my home for personal use. I currently have a Windows desktop, and 2 MacBook's needing to be backed-up.

Right now, I'm closing in on 1TB of total data (across all machines) needing to be backed-up. My current backup strategy is 100% cloud based (Amazon S3). I plan to keep that in place. But, I'd like to use my new Synology 212j as a second, local backup option, but have two options that I am contemplating:

Option 1: Use the 212j for local backups in a Raid 1 configuration -- mirroring.

Option 2: Use just one drive on the 212j for backups. And, use the 2nd drive as an external HDD. This decision is mainly being driven by the fact that the majority of my storage growth is in RAW photo images. And, before I max out my desktop workstation, I would begin to use the 212j. Then again, if I did this, this drive would need to be backed up too.

So, this is my consideration. Personally, I think Option 1 is my best option. If I start to maxout my desktop HDD space, I can always get a USD external drive, and continue on -- utilizing my 212j in mirroring mode.

At the end of the day, my goal is to leverage the best practice, backup strategy -- as well as maximize the use of my Synology unit's features.

Thoughts/comments??? Thanks in advance for your inputs and comments.

- Bill

My DS212 has two drives, two volumes, non-RAID. The main volume has all the shares on it. The second volume receives a "timed backup" of the first, so I can go back 30 days to get any file, and there's a full backup on a separate drive and separate file system. Now and then, a USB3 external backups up volume 1.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!