What's new

Help with home network/AD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hamped

New Around Here
Hi there!

I have the following: a win 2008r2 server (vps), a Linksys wrt54g router (currently with dd-wrt), a windows home server, three laptos and the desire to create my own Active directory.

I know it's a total overkill with an AD, but i need yor help with the following:

How do i make my vps a part of my home lan (with the vps as a dns server)?

Thanks in advance.

/HM

You can either configure the DHCP service on the router to provide the IP of your Windows server as primary DNS server, or you can set up the Windows server to be the DHCP and disable it on the router.

Your Windows DNS server should have the ISP's DNS servers configured as DNS forwarders. In the DNS console of Windows (Control Panel/DNS) right click your server in the tree view. Select the Forwarders tab. The server should also have IP for it's local connection configured with only itself for the DNS server. :cool:

This is an old step by step guide I did back in the 2003 days...
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/server-based-network-guide-1660

But still holds true for 2k8.
I prefer having the server run DHCP instead of a router, keeps active directory "tighter"..as clients keep more updated with the server as far as registration.

I set the DNS forwarders to OpenDNS servers....as an added layer of protection from malware....it blocks out known malware distribution sites.