What's new

Hi is there someone who has some advice aimesh vs wifi mesh(netgear rbk53)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lars

Regular Contributor
Today i have
Netgear Orbi WiFi System (RBK53) AC3000
Router + 2 Satellites.
My trial period will start Friday next week, which means I have to send back before Friday next week if I do not want netgear, I've tried Asus Lyra and Linksys well not quite happy, so last I have now Netgear, but then did aimesh come after i got netgear, so should i keep netgear or go for aimesh system, ac5300 and ac88u? have big house 3 floors, can anyone help me on what i should do.In Norway now We have january sale on ac5300 and ac88u.thanks help.

Today i have
Netgear Orbi WiFi System (RBK53) AC3000
Router + 2 Satellites.

My trial period will start Friday next week, which means I have to send back before Friday next week if I do not want netgear, I've tried Asus Lyra and Linksys well not quite happy, so last I have now Netgear, but then did aimesh come after i got netgear, so should i keep netgear or go for aimesh system, ac5300 and ac88u? have big house 3 floors, can anyone help me on what i should do.In Norway now We have january sale on ac5300 and ac88u.thanks help.

RT-AC5300 does not have AI Mesh yet and may not for some time. Are you happy with the Netgear? If yes just keep it. AIMesh does have a bonus where like eero it supports ethernet backhaul. But as I said the RC-AC5300 doesn't support AIMesh yet. A better model would be the Asus RT-86U in turns of performance and price. It is better than the 88u and ac5300. Also if you can run patch cable use the ethernet backhaul and install 2-3 RT-86U's and you have yourself better coverage and full wifi strength.

I have tested the AIMesh on 2 AC68U's and the Wifi handoff/roaming works perfectly with the ethernet backhaul.

But can you help me Need some help,asus support couldnt help my brother have asus ac68u as main router and ac68 as node in the garagen,in the garage i get weak wifi signal from the main router,but in the garage there is cable from the main router to the garage,should i put the cable in wan port
or should it be in lan port 1 on the node in the garage, the cable comes from LAN port 1 from the main router
and should i get the latest firmware

But can you help me Need some help,asus support couldnt help my brother have asus ac68u as main router and ac68 as node in the garagen,in the garage i get weak wifi signal from the main router,but in the garage there is cable from the main router to the garage,should i put the cable in wan port
or should it be in lan port 1 on the node in the garage, the cable comes from LAN port 1 from the main router
and should i get the latest firmware

My opinion is cancel your RT-AC5300 order. And order a 2nd RT-AC86U since you said you ordered 1 RT-AC5300 and you ordered 1 AC86U. The RT-AC86U is far superior to the RT-AC5300 and the RT-AC5300 doesn't support AIMesh and may not for a long time. Since Merlin's doesn't support AIMesh yet you would need to use stock latest ASUS firmware. Use this link - https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/ and scroll to the bottom to download latest firmware for both AC68U and your new AC86U.

Steps
1) Update both routers to the latest firmware and reset to factory on both of them.
2) Use RT-AC86U as your primary router and the existing RT-AC68U as your node. (you can add an additional RT-AC86U as another node or replace the RT-AC68U if the 2 routers does the job of the whole house otherwise just add the additional RT-AC68U as another node to have a 3 wifi access point setup for more coverage)
3) Run 1 cable from the LAN 1 on the primary RT-AC86U to the WAN on the RT-AC68U in the garage. If you are adding the 2nd RT-AC86U run a cable to that from your LAN 2 port to the WAN port of that RT-AC86U (make sure you update to latest stock firmware like the primary and reset to factory). Run a cable from LAN 3 to a network switch and all your other LAN devices like PC's, and other hardwired devices should plug into that network switch.
4) In the Primary RT-AC68U set up your wifi settings and connect to internet (it does this for you when you first log into it).
5) Once all your primary router settings and wifi is set then click on the AI Node option and search for the other node(s). It will find them and run the configuration. It will auto update them and connect it to the mesh network.
6) complete all your devices should roam freely between the 2 or 3 nodes and all the traffic between the nodes is over the ethernet backhaul automatically and your devices get the full wifi performance.

I've installed the latest firmware update yesterday on my asus GT-AC5300 which added support for Aimesh . i also used to have orbi 53 and linksys velop and let me tell you its worlds of difference between the asus and the other two. the asus is much better in regard of performance and signal strength , plus its much easier too to setup. the linksys and orbi lacks the most important features that asus router can offer from qos , bandwidth monitor and control and many many other features,

Hi, I have considered aimesh long time now, but I had Orbi Rbk53 unstable so I sent back and tried one more time Orbi Pro too unstable. netgear should fix the firmwares, I was going to buy an ac-5300 and one ac86u is this a good choice or should i go for the gt-5300? thought to give netgear a chance with orbi pro but cant take it anymore, is an ac5300 and an ac86u good choice? and so I thought to buy an RT-AX88U when it comes , should I buy an ac5300/gt5300 and two ac86u, or should I just buy an ac5300 and wait for the AX88u to come? and is aimesh better than orbi?i need verry good coverage and speed,i have a big house and many many devices ipads cameras laptops ++,and my internett speed is 500mbps down/500mbps up,goot big houe 3 floors,i have to start somewhere?

Last edited:
I also am curious as to benchmarks. My orbi is horrendously unstable (requires random reboots as it constantly loses the internet - even thought the mesh network is still active) but it is the fastest (mesh) router I can find. I have gigabit ethernet so the fastest solution is necessary but I really want something more stable.

I was going to buy 3 ac-5300s. I assume with the tri-band I will have a dedicated backhaul versus the other Asus models? I unfortunately don't have any ethernet backhaul. Price is not an issue versus having the best possible throughput and reliability.

Hi, I have considered aimesh long time now, but I had Orbi Rbk53 unstable so I sent back and tried one more time Orbi Pro too unstable. There is no help getting from Netgear, I was going to buy an ac-5300 and one ac86u is this a good choice or should i go for the gt-5300? thought to give netgear a chance with orbi pro but cant take it anymore, is an ac5300 and an ac86u good choice? and so I thought to buy an RT-AX88U when it comes , should I buy an ac5300/gt5300 and two ac86u, or should I just buy an ac5300 and wait for the AX88u to come? and is aimesh works better than orbi shirt?i need verry good coverage and speed,i have a big house and many many devices ipads cameras laptops ++,and my internett speed is 500mbps down/500mbps up,goot big houe 3 floors,i have to start somewhere?

RT/GT-AC5300 may have better range than the RT-AC86U and better support a large number of clients connected to it because of having two 5 GHz channels, but if are planning on using three routers, I think that three RT-AC86Us would be fine for a large house. I have a 3800 sq ft, two story house, and one RT-AC86U + one RT-AC68U cover the entire house.

Yesterday, I configured GT‑AC5300 and RT‑AC5300 in a mesh setup (aimesh). First I set up the GT‑AC5300 as my main router/aimesh router node and then I set up the RT‑AC5300 as a slave AiMesh node. When I started both of them (connected to LAN and internet), they both updated automatically to the latest firmware (mentioned below). I have been testing their AIMESH functionality and the VPN functionality and they both seem to be pretty good. One thing I have noticed that having these 2 routers too close to each other can cause AI mesh to work in a hopping confused way (which is probably expected). So increasing the distance between the 2 helped with having the clients stick to the main or node. Also for the backhaul I have the node connected to the router via ethernet, which I believe they both consistently connect at 300mbps. I am pretty pleased with these 2. The cost however for having these 2 in a mesh setup is pretty high and probably justifiable on a very large home...bigger than 3000 sq feet. Hope this helps a bit for anyone considering AIMESH specifically with these 2 routers.

RT‑AC5300 Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045 released 2018/06/12
GT-AC5300 Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045 released 2018/06/01

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!