What's new

High ping/latency; many firmwares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-Oz-

New Around Here
High ping/latency; many firmwares [solved]

Hi All,

About two months ago I started getting excessive lag intermittently on Xbox Live. I wasn't concerned because it went away pretty quickly. About a week ago I would get lag and it would not go away so I began investigating. Turns out my ping to anywhere on the WAN is ~400+ms (the norm is 20-40). The results do not vary between 2.4ghz wifi, 5ghz wifi, or wired.
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=506ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=435ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=379ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=457ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=387ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=476ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=405ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=469ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=397ms TTL=46
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=473ms TTL=46

At the time I was running 1.0.1.8f. Just over a week ago I updated to .318. I had the same problem. After browsing here I changed .318 out for Padavan's -027. I didn't have the lag issue quite as frequently (although last night it came back (after 1d 18hrs uptime) and wouldn't go away) but I ran in to all sorts of wireless g client issues. I swapped Padavan's firmware out for .206 and within 15 minutes hit the high ping rates and they haven't gone away. I know its not the modem because I plugged the cable modem directly into the xbox and computer and did not have any issues. Also, right after router reboot the ping times are appropriate.

Looking for advise.

Not to make this thread longer but here is my network configuration:
Wired: Xbox 360, Yamaha Receiver, MediaPC/Server, HdHomeRun tv tuner
2.4ghz wireless: IP camera, ipod, kindle, nexus 7, 2x laptops, printer
5ghz wireless: desktop, wireless bridge (Belkin router to a computer and Xbox)

Willing to try any suggestions before I call ASUS and ask for a replacement. I specifically bought this router because it was supposed to not become overwhelmed. I don't use USB or mediaserver because I have a server setup so i don't care how the suggested firmware works with those items.

Last edited:
after u use padavan, u need to restore it to default before u come back to asuswrt. then flash to 206 again, another reset is good too.

Does the restore to default in the webgui work or should I use the recovery mode/cd? I have done the reset after each change.

frm webgui is good enough. if u are from padavan to asuswrt, make sure to restore before flashing. somehow the settings stay after flashing to asuswrt, now when i mention 'stay' i mean whenever u come back to padavan, the previous settings from the earlier padavan will come back. but if u r from asuswrt to padavan, its ok to do the reset after flashing. so, do the restore to default before each flash. or u can do restore before and after too.

I joined because I am having the same exact problem. Very happy to see that I am not the only one experiencing XBL issues. Excessive ping and latency problems when playing Xbox live. Every other device in the house appears to have no connection problem whatsoever; the xbox is the only device (that I can notice) having any connection problems. The xbox is on a wired connection. I've tried many different firmware versions including the custom firmware found here: http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ and the official Asus firmwares including the latest released 12/18/12 firmware. I've also narrowed it down to being a router problem because when played directly through the modem everything is perfect.

Nothing is helping, I'm at a loss of what to do. Any ideas? Am I missing some reset function here that I'm supposed to do after installing new firmware?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't completed all my thorough testing yet but I did a factory reset then installed padavan then did a factory reset then return to the beta .206 firmware and after about a day and a half I haven't had any of the ping/lag issues. I too am glad to see I"m not the only one.

I haven't completed all my thorough testing yet but I did a factory reset then installed padavan then did a factory reset then return to the beta .206 firmware and after about a day and a half I haven't had any of the ping/lag issues. I too am glad to see I"m not the only one.

Awesome, that's good news. By factory reset, did you just do the "Restore to default" setting from within the firmware GUI? Or did you hard reset by pushing the button on the router?

Also, how do you test the ping of your xbox connection?

Awesome, that's good news. By factory reset, did you just do the "Restore to default" setting from within the firmware GUI? Or did you hard reset by pushing the button on the router?

I used the one in the GUI.

For testing ping I just run the test from any computer; the jump is extremely noticeable.

EDIT: So, it turns out my issue is possible not related to the router now (with .206 running). So I'll update after the technicians check the lines.

Last edited:
Final solution.

Running .206 fixed the lag and wireless issues from the router side.

The remaining issues were caused by high signal (too high) going to the cable modem.

So far .206 is the firmware for me.

Just giving an update. No firmware has helped with my problem. I was able to fix the problem by switching to my 5+ year old Linksys router and everything is working perfectly now. Kind of a shame. Even tried the above firmware. The problem will most likely come back for you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!