What's new

Home network advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxxjr

Occasional Visitor
My ISP connection/router will be in a different room vs. my main work area, and I have a general question about how to link the rooms wirelessly.

Generally, the network would look like

Room 1:
DSL modem -> ??? Wireless

Room 2:
Router or something similar, wireless link to the DSL modem in the other room
--> Hard wired connection to NAS
--> Hard wired connection to one or more PC's

My idea right now
Connect the wired LAN-side port of the DSL modem to a NUC that I will set up as a firewall with pfsense or similar.
The NUC will wirelessly connect to a Dlink/Netgear, etc. wireless router in Room 2
Anything hard-wired into that wireless router will be configured to go to the NUC for the Internet link. The WAN side of the wireless router would not be used.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

My ISP connection/router will be in a different room vs. my main work area, and I have a general question about how to link the rooms wirelessly.

Generally, the network would look like

Room 1:
DSL modem -> ??? Wireless

Room 2:
Router or something similar, wireless link to the DSL modem in the other room
--> Hard wired connection to NAS
--> Hard wired connection to one or more PC's

My idea right now
Connect the wired LAN-side port of the DSL modem to a NUC that I will set up as a firewall with pfsense or similar.
The NUC will wirelessly connect to a Dlink/Netgear, etc. wireless router in Room 2
Anything hard-wired into that wireless router will be configured to go to the NUC for the Internet link. The WAN side of the wireless router would not be used.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

1. Run an Eternet cable to room 2.

2. If you have coaxial cabling in the house use MOCA.

3. Try powerline adapters.

Wireless should be you last resort.

I agree with the above but running ethernet may not be always be feasible, for aesthetic reasons etc. If you can get away with a single WiFi router to cover you home with decent speeds nothing wrong with that either. Maybe an extender if needed.