What's new

Home network plan: feedback and questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a_gunslinger

New Around Here
Plan to Basic network to accommodate multiple room gaming locations and LAN to a couple TVs.

CURRENTLY:
  1. Internet > DOCSIS3 Modem > Netgear AC3200 router
  2. Spectrum business class internet (60 Mbps DOWN, 6 UP)
  3. All hardware upstairs in 2 story home, downstairs fed wirelessly
  4. Router LAN feeds 4 gaming computers upstairs
  5. Router Wireless feeds 2 TVs upstairs and two downstairs.
  6. Two downstairs TVs occasionally suffer lag and buffering.

PLAN:
  1. Moving 2 upstairs gaming machines to basement
  2. Feed LAN to basement and middle floor main TVs
  3. Modem and Router stay upstairs where they are
  4. Router LAN feeds 2 remaining upstairs gaming PCs
  5. CAT5e run from upstairs router to new Basement switch
  6. New basement switch LAN feeds 2 new gaming PCs and LAN feed to the 2 TVs (one basement, one middle floor)
Pending any warnings from you good people I only have two questions about this plan.

1. The easiest and most direct route for routing the LAN feed from third floor to basement involves dropping into the same small basement access area where the home electric service box is. In a perfect world I would put the switch in this same perfect space. But I assume its proximity to a house's main electric service box is a bad thing?
  2. Any value to CAT6 in my situation? Cant imagine my needs requiring more than 5e.
All thoughts and opinions appreciated!

your cable ISP seems very stingy on the bandwidth.
with that internet speed your wifi is overkill. I mean how much LAN traffic do you really even use? All your devices are internet based, nothing local which means you dont even have enough bandwidth. You should go with a good QoS.

Ofcourse wiring everything up is good but your usage doesnt really warrant it even for gaming because you dont seem to have an ISP that would even give good latency. Connect a PC to the wired port, try dslreports.com select fiber for testing. It will show you a horrific bufferbloat or quality.

We dont use that much LAN traffic. But when several of us are gaming online the wireless users suffer. Even with QoS applied. Plug them in and much better. Same for the TVs using AppleTV or FireTV. The purpose for the hardwire is more to be able to move two of my gaming computers to basements new game room, and while there might as well run a couple wires to the two TVs that would now be closer.

I rant eh dslreport. Yes, gibabet fiber was poor - all C grades. But shouldnt I run DSL as Time Warner is DSL? The DSL test was great with the exception of a C for Bufferbloat.

Overall Buffernbloat Quality
Gb/Fiber C C C
DSL A C A

I found using QOS to limit my max upload to about 90% of my average upload from speedtest.net helps the bufferbloat.

Disable QOS and bufferbloat goes to poop, gaming ping times spike too.

DSLReports speed test is very dependent on the browser/OS/computer in use...

On the same machine - it's a good point of reference - but the bufferbloat metric is very dependent on the browser...

12431310.png

If your bufferbloat was B grade that would be fine but it is C grade.

The difference between the tests are how much it will stress your connection, how many servers it will connect to and the number of connections. Fiber connects to more servers and uses more connections. This is why i said to use fiber as gaming requires sending lots of small packets so this would show more.

I would actually try a simpler approach that may just take care of the problem much more easily--powerline adapters for the two wireless tvs downstairs. That should do the trick as the latency would get under control.