What's new

Homeplugs losing security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stilghar

New Around Here
Hi all,

First of all pleased to meet you, I'm new to this great forum! Now on to the topic. :)

I have my TP-LINK C8 router in the first floor or my house and I use a set of 2 Sitecom LN-553 homeplugs to connect an Ouya console on the ground floor of the house.

Everything is fine once I perform the initial setup and I pair both homeplugs using the security button. However, for some reason the homeplugs seem to lose the security and the homeplug network becomes open. The biggest problem with this is that apparently my neighbors must have a similar homeplug kit and when the security is lost my homeplugs connect to theirs.

This creates all sorts of problems as sometimes the homeplug that is connected to my router connects to the neighbours' homeplug which then connects to their modem. All of a sudden I'm connecting to the internet via my neighbors' modem instead of mine!

Is this normal? It seems to happen whenever I disconnect the Ouya from the second homeplug. But, shouldn't the homeplugs keep the security regardless of what is connected to them (even if nothing is connected to them)?

Thanks!

Homeplug security is based around the network name. Out of the box the network name is usually HomeplugAV.

When you use the pair button, it generates a random network name. First confirm that this is actually working by plugging directly into both homeplug and check the network name using the utility.

(alternatively you can secure the network by directly connecting to each homeplug in turn and manually entering a random network name via the utility. the same name for each one obviously)

Once the network name has been set, it should survive power loss or power cycles. If it doesn't then it's defective.

If the Homeplug is sent a reset command from the utility, it will revert to default network name HomeplugAV. Perhaps you are doing this inadvertently?

The homeplugs came with no Utility. I have contacted the manufacturer to see what they say about this. Unless you mean there is some kind of utility that works for all brands?

The homeplugs came with no Utility. I have contacted the manufacturer to see what they say about this. Unless you mean there is some kind of utility that works for all brands?

My TP-Link utility works with various TP-Link adapters, Zyxel and Trendnet.

Im sure there are some restrictions about what chipsets work with what utility but there is definitely some standardisation. The utilities from most manufacturers look like they're based on the same reference utility.

I would just download some utilties from other manufacturers and try them. All you want to do is just look and see what network name each adapter is configured to connect to.