What's new

How a adjust remote administration on Nighthawk R8000P, firmware version: V1.4.4.94_1.3.56

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorgrabber

Occasional Visitor
I've been hunting high and low for the location of the remote administration check box...without luck. I've read somewhere that the name might also be called Anywhere Access. If so, how/where do I configure this to not allow remote administration? Thanks!

I've been hunting high and low for the location of the remote administration check box...without luck. I've read somewhere that the name might also be called Anywhere Access. If so, how/where do I configure this to not allow remote administration? Thanks!
On my R9000 with Voxel firmware, it is under the Advanced Tab -> Advanced Setup -> Remote Management. Make sure the checkbox to turn remote management on is cleared.

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, on my router, this option simply doesn't exist, at least at that location. There is a section under Advanced, Security, Access Control that looks similar, but I'm not convinced.

Access control is a different feature. I agree it is not what you are looking for here.

In the newer routers, the Remote Management feature underwent significant changes and was renamed Anywhere Access. Anywhere Access is primarily a creature of the Nighthawk mobile application and can only be activated or deactivated from within the mobile application.

Your firmware is current. I believe remote management via the user interface has been depreciated. No place to enable or disable.

Have you installed the Nighthawk mobile application? I have and found it of limited usefulness so I simply disabled Anywhere Access from within the mobile application. The mobile application still works fine as long as you are connected through your local Wi-Fi.

Additional information here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062097/Re...nywhere-Access-in-the-Nighthawk-and-Orbi-apps

Thanks, that's very helpful! Yes, I have the mobile app but it's of very little use. I've run different firmware builds on older routers in the past (Tomato, DDWRT, etc.). Is there one that might be useful on this router? It's for home use but I do like to keep an eye on security.

Thanks, that's very helpful! Yes, I have the mobile app but it's of very little use. I've run different firmware builds on older routers in the past (Tomato, DDWRT, etc.). Is there one that might be useful on this router? It's for home use but I do like to keep an eye on security.

Not to my knowledge. I am strictly a Voxel firmware user on the hardware he supports. Your R8000P is not one of the supported models.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!