What's new

how do i check if router or modem fault ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rusty

Occasional Visitor
hi guys
please be easy with me, as i'm an oldie so my brain doesn't work well now
got a Asus RT-ac66u (running merlin AC68U_380.68_4) and an draytek vigor 120
its been running lovely since last winter, unit last week
in the morning it was working as normal, in daytime my oven element blow and tripped the RCB in the fuse box, (so maybe sent a spike though the electric wiring in the house ?) next time I tried the internet, speed was about 1/3 of normal speed, poor connections to web sites, download speed was around 6mg
I put my old BT home hub 4 on, and the speeds back to 16mg everything running normally
I tried to flash the Asus Rt-ac66u with RT-AC66U_380.70_0 the Asus said cannot flash wrong firmware (something along those lines) so reflashed with RT-AC66U_380.68_4
just tried the Asus RT-AC66u & Draytek vigor 120 still running at 6mg download and poor connections to internet,
lights on the Asus look correct
is there anyway to check if its the Asus or Draytek that is at fault ?

I suggest you bypass the router by connecting a computer directly to the Draytek modem and testing just the modem. If it's still slow it's the modem. If it's got full speed your problem is in the router.

(This might require that you reconfigure the computer to define its own IP address and look for the IP address of the modem rather than getting an IP address via DHCP from your router. Your ISP should have instructions for this. Or look at how your router is set up and copy it.)

connected to the draytec 120 vigor then to internet, did speed test and its around half what I get using the BT HH, (tested BT HH speed just before I tested the Draytec)
so looks as if the modem has fault
did a hard reset using button on the side of the 120 vigor, now back to full speed

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!