What's new

How do you Hire a Developer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micjustin33

Occasional Visitor
Since I have been working in the HR industry I can understand the problem of hiring technical person specially developer when you are non technical.. I noticed that other recruiters also having problems to hire technical person..

I am in search of some kind of solution that we can use to filter out the right candidates when you have numbers of CVs for the technical position. I found the assessment techniques on some job posting sites (indeed) where they show the assessment after apply for job is this really helpful and how we can use them?

Edit: sorry for delay edit - Do you guys prefer any of these software to assess your candidates?

Codility.com
Hiringuru.com
iMocha.com

Thanks

Last edited:
Today, you hire anyone on a trial, limited-time basis. No amount of testing will tell you how they will perform or mesh with the rest of your team (or lack thereof).

If they have proven themselves over several projects and several months, offer them a position. Until then, only pay as you go.

If it's a developer, you could ask for a sample of code that they have written, and have another programmer give you his evaluation of it (tidiness, following established best practices, etc...) I've had someone ask me in the past if I could comment on their code before they applied for a job, presumably because that job was going to ask them for such code samples ahead of time. (I ended up declining, because not being a C programmer by trade, I'm not a good point of reference).

Today, you hire anyone on a trial, limited-time basis. No amount of testing will tell you how they will perform or mesh with the rest of your team (or lack thereof).

If they have proven themselves over several projects and several months, offer them a position. Until then, only pay as you go.

I did search for the options that help to find right candidates by assessing them through some kind of test which I have seen on indeed sometimes... I found some sites interviewmocha.com, hiringuru.com, hackerrank.com, codingame.com etc... which helps recruiters to hire technical staff but seems they are not for small companies that don't hire frequently.

But you are right, it would be better to hire on trial and if it goes well offer them a position.

Thanks

If it's a developer, you could ask for a sample of code that they have written, and have another programmer give you his evaluation of it (tidiness, following established best practices, etc...) I've had someone ask me in the past if I could comment on their code before they applied for a job, presumably because that job was going to ask them for such code samples ahead of time. (I ended up declining, because not being a C programmer by trade, I'm not a good point of reference).

would you prefer any assessment process if you don't have any programmer and nobody out there. I was searching sites i.e interviewmocha & hiringuru who are helping to find the right candidate specially from programming end.

As you said you ended up declining then what do do in this case?

Last edited by a moderator:
would you prefer any assessment process if you don't have any programmer and nobody out there. I was searching sites i.e interviewmocha & hiringuru who are helping to find the right candidate specially from programming end.

As you said you ended up declining then what do do in this case?

I don't know, I've never been in a position to hire a software developer.

Since I have been working in the HR industry I can understand the problem of hiring technical person specially developer when you are non technical.. I noticed that other recruiters also having problems to hire technical person..

Depends on the level of the req - entry/journeyman/senior...

I look at skills around problem solving first - developers are more than just writing code, e.g. most folks that have some experience can write code, but there's a lot of coders that do not have good problem solving skills.

The other thing I look for is design skills from a conceptual perspective - take a concept and build a high level architecture around it - from a given set of requirements/constraints, whiteboard a potential solution...

Code is poetry - anybody can write the words, but good code sings... and for it to sing, there needs to be some good thought processes behind it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!