What's new

How does Dual WAN work ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahmadka

Regular Contributor
I have an ASUS RT-N66U running 374.41 (Merlin build), and am interested in know how the Dual WAN functionality works, as I have two internet connections coming into my home.

Some questions:

1) If I'm using 'Fail Over' model, what causes the WAN to be switched to the secondary WAN ?

2) If I'm using 'Load Balancing' how are internet connections balanced ? For example if I'm downloading a file which has 8 parallel download connections, does it mean that 4 at using WAN #1 and the other 4 are using WAN #2 ?

3) What about when I'm simply browsing while using 'Load Balancing' ? Are sessions maintained, or is each internet request equally likely to originate from either of the two WAN connections ? This can potentially cause problems on secure sites, because the site you're visiting will see your requests jumping between IPs very fast.

4) What does the option 'Allow Failback' mean ?

I already came across those while I looked around before making this thread.
Good. And what were the answers to your questions from these experienced persons?

Last edited: