What's new

How to begin with Home Automation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. I'll look at each site. I've seen Smarthome. It's a big proponent of insteon.

My ideas are starting to gel. Initially, I plan to control the lighting in one room that is hard to cover with existing switches and plugs. Overhead can lights are now on a 3 way switch that I will replace with an intelligent 3 way switch. Floor / table lamps at the front and back will be controlled via simple plug in modules. I'll put a multi-button switch at both room entrances so you can turn on / off all or some lights from that point.

For home security, would I be better off putting devices on this network or looking into dedicated security systems? What's the difference between z-wave / insteon security vs the others?

Install a dedicated security system and add an interface module (http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176) to control it with a webbrowser. It will not be integrated but it is great.

I'm starting to lean towards z-wave but have not yet spent money and won't for a few weeks. More major retailers and manufacturers support it. Various mfgrs offer specific z-wave 3-way switches while insteon is vague about describing their 3-way switch technology, but just claim it works if you dig deeply enough in the literature (the 3-way switch they sold was discontinued.)

Z-wave is a protocol and don't sell anything
Insteon is a protocol and sell their system
Insteon is not vague they give plenty of information, I can assure you, I use them
VERA3 is a controler based on Z-wave and they have an "app" to interface with the controller and there is a lot a plug in for use with different system but it is not userfriendly
http://getvera.com/controllers/vera3/

Homeseer is a controller and it can be interfaced with Z-wave and Insteon using an interface, it can monitor, arm and disarm a security system:
http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-W29C242.aspx

All those system are DIY
Many thermostat are based on Z-wave protocol but difficult to find for insteon. IDEM for doorlock

soleillune, Thanks much. A lot to digest there. (I never knew it was so complicated to turn on a light. How many protocols do I need to change a light bulb?)

thiggins, thanks, also. I'll take a look.

soleillune, Thanks much. A lot to digest there. (I never knew it was so complicated to turn on a light. How many protocols do I need to change a light bulb?)

thiggins, thanks, also. I'll take a look.

Long haul, Insteon will be the only one still going.
X10 is old tech. But cheap enough to be disposable. And it works well enough here for the HomeSeer managed 8 or so lights and outdoor water features.
Even HomeSeer is arguably an overkill - a simple X10 timer is good enough, after you get past the glitz and just use what makes sense for the long run.

But then, I'm too cheap to spend $K on home automation.

I'm converging on a solution that will be adequate, low cost, and fairly low tech. I'm still thinking about adding some slick network controlled 3 way switches to control some can lights, but that will be much later, it seems.

Initial problem: Large room that is difficult to light properly. Removed 400 Watt equivalent lights because tall furniture they were on was removed.

Early idea: Add home automation; to include remote controlled 3 way switches for some existing can lights, and some new remote controlled lights front and back in the room to replace and / or improve on lights removed. Can lights not perfect replacements without supplemental lights.

Current solution: Buy two adesso titan floor lamps. (amazon $95 each) Put in 'Y' adapter so each will hold 2 100 Watt (75 if too bright) equivalent CFL bulbs. Control lamps with same switch as lights that were removed. ($12 for adapters with amazon prime)

Take 2 of the former lights and put in back of room on new 62" long console table (already purchased). Control lights with $14 (Menards on sale) Woods RF pack of 3 plug ins and 1 RF controller. The controller will sit on table or someplace as convenient. Put plug ins in spare surge protector / power bar.

Total cost of new money out: about $26 since the lamps and table were already on the list of replacement furniture.

I have no idea what protocol the Woods components use, and, for $14, I really don't care. Hope it works. Spare controllers appear to be available for about $6, I think. Perhaps they can be mated to the plugins. I'm waiting for some wood floors to be finished and it will be a couple of weeks before everything is in place for my low tech solution to be tested.

Edit: a couple weeks later: Tall floor lamps with 'Y' bulb holders work great and look good. Woods automation is impressive. Each 'plug in' has 4 base settings. Each base setting has 3 choices. The 'base settings' on each 'plug in' correspond to matching settings on the controller. The three choices correspond to buttons on the controller. Here's an example: If the base settings on all plug ins and the controller are set to '1' then all are on the same circuit. If each setting on the plug in is '1' then button 1 on the controller will control all devices. This means multiple controllers can control the same devices or multiple controllers can function within the household without getting in each other's way. It works well and is very inexpensive.

Conclusion - Home automation using standards (z-wave, insteon, others) is a good idea for special use purposes (security, cameras, remote door locks, sensors, or supporting special needs for people who can't get around well). Otherwise, you have to ask, "Does the cost justify the benefits. This explains why the Clapper (home automation V1) was successful. It did the job and cost a small amount. With inexpensive Woods technology available, big home automation is a hard sell. By implication, the 'internet of things' will be a big dud unless it can be accomplished without the need for specialized home subnets, even assuming I find s need for putting my refrigerator or microwave on the internet.

Last edited:
My take> NOTHING that is limited to Cloud control is good for anyone. Simple power outage, which is guaranteed to happen with ever aging infrastructure, knock you out of control over your own home. How this can be accepted by so many is beyond me. I am sending WINK back to the store.
I had VERA for years, I am not genius, and it works fine - I have smooth full local control without internet, and I have as easy via internet.
VERA does Z-wave and with a USB box plug INSTEON and X10. I wish they did Zigbee -- but I think it might be coming.
As to somebody's comment about user unfriendliness - I can manage, and when I get into deep doodoo VERA tech support saved many times in very convenient way -- from VERA gui I let them know what bugs me and they fixed it remotely - all I got was email from them that it is fixed. VERA rocks and if they keep the Romania based tech support I'll call them just to talk to nice well educated engineers.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!