What's new

How to bridge/extend a R7800 to a TEW-812DRU (v1)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nerva

Occasional Visitor
So, until recently I used a TRENDnet TEW-812DRU (revision 1.0) as my wifi router, and then I bought a NETGEAR R7800, with the idea that I would (re)use the TEW-812DRU as a wifi bridge or extender (I probably only need it to bridge rooms between two floors, but an extender mode might also be useful for reaching mobile devices in the back yard). In the past I have not had difficulty turning other old wifi routers into extenders, but to my surprise the TEW-812DRU does not have an alternate bridge/extender "mode" to put it in -- instead, apparently I have to set it up to use WDS, which I haven't had previous experience with.

It doesn't seem to want to work, but I'm not sure I'm doing it properly -- hence my post asking for help.

From reading the TEW-812DRU manual, it says I am supposed to get the R7800's MAC address of the band in question (5GHz in this case) and enter it into one of the four entries in the WDS configuration for the band in question on the TEW-812DRU. Then apparently I'm supposed to get the TEW-812DRU's 5GHz MAC address and enter it into an equivalent configuration screen on the R7800, so that the two will talk to each other -- or at least I think that's how it is supposed to work. But the problem is, I can't find a WDS configuration screen anywhere in my R7800 setup. When I google the issue, I find references to older NETGEAR routers having such a configuration nested under some menu headings that my R7800 has, but the actual WDS menu option is missing from my R7800. A search of the R7800 User Manual for "WDS" and "Wireless Distribution" turned up nothing.

I heard so many positive things about the R7800 -- but does it not have WDS, even though older NETGEAR routers had it?

[Hits forehead] I carefully typed-up something with all the details of the problem. Why can't people just answer the question that's been asked, rather than making erroneous assumptions about my situation and telling me the smart move is to run ethernet, or telling me to get a powerline adapter?? As I've explained in other threads after people won't answer the original question and assume I have no good reason for solving the problem I want to solve, I CAN'T RUN ETHERNET IN THE HOUSE BECAUSE I RENT IT AND THE OWNER WON'T LET ME TOUCH ANYTHING. AND THE HOUSE HAS LOUSY WIRING FOR POWERLINE -- I'VE TRIED IT ALREADY.

And I didn't say anything about not getting coverage downstairs, only that it wouldn't hurt if a byproduct of an extender downstairs happened to be increasing the range mobile devices can access wifi from outside the house. But I'd be perfectly happy with the thing operating in wireless bridge mode -- the coverage outside is already "good enough" from the R7800 upstairs.

And I am already using an AC1200 router downstairs in extender mode connected to my R7800 upstairs and it ranges from 90% to 100% signal strength -- but I'd like to try using the TEW-812DRU, which is AC1750, since the bottleneck right now is between the two PC's in my office downstairs and my server upstairs (particularly when the PC's are backing-up to the server or NAS). This would also let me move the AC1200 extender to my family room, where there are three devices in close proximity that could easily be plugged into it rather than needing to make their own 2.4GHz connections to the router upstairs -- putting them on a 5GHz extender would improve the speed to those devices while also helping to free up the 2.4GHz for mobile devices.

As I've explained in other threads after people won't answer the original question

then post in those thread so its continues the discussion rather than start a new thread so it all gets repeated again hey! , we aint mind readers or remember every post every user posts , also note this is not a help or support site we are just here to help where we can

you have answered your own question the r7800 doesnt have wds so you cant do what you want without putting 3rd party firmware on the r7800 like dd wrt kong etc

Last edited:
Because I'm asking a DIFFERENT question this time and don't want to HIJACK a thread about SOMETHING ELSE.

I never asked you to read my mind about running ethernet in the house -- you tried to read my mind anyway -- just answer the question based on the info provided.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!