What's new

How To Build a Really Fast NAS - Part 5: iSCSI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

00Roush

Very Senior Member
Thanks for testing this out. As I actually did a similar test last week on my home network I wondered if others would have the same results. From what I can tell you ended up at the same result. Using iSCSI didn't increase performance over what can be obtained using SMB/CIFS. This of course is just on Win XP PRO SP2. Using a different iSCSI target program or a different OS could give completely different results.

00Roush

I'm loving your perseverance on this Tim!

I bought a crossover cable (as I have no gigabit switch) during the week so I am going have a play with my ramdisk theory shortly when I get some time.

Keep up the good work :)

I got different results

Guys, I have to question your setup. I conducted a similar test about a month ago and found iscsi to be much faster that cifs/smb, especially on big copies. I wrote the results on my notepad so I will post them later. I was using Openfiler as the iscsi SAN and tested from both my desktop pc using MS initiator and also from my esx server. I use gigabit everywhere. I'll redo the tests and post later...

Chris

Did you use IPsec on the iSCSI System?

This draws a lot of computing power.

Switching it off would help to achive more speed i guess.

And in an internal net no extra security is needed.

Guys, I have to question your setup.
Different systems will product different results.
Sans Digital has reviewed the results and said that they are in line with their testing. Obviously, the MN4L+ is not optimized for iSCSI.

Guys, I have to question your setup. I conducted a similar test about a month ago and found iscsi to be much faster that cifs/smb, especially on big copies. I wrote the results on my notepad so I will post them later. I was using Openfiler as the iscsi SAN and tested from both my desktop pc using MS initiator and also from my esx server. I use gigabit everywhere. I'll redo the tests and post later...

Chris

Maybe I will give Openfiler a shot. I used iSCSI Cake target software on Win XP PRO SP2 and the MS initiator. I don't recall actually running iozone when I had the iSCSI setup as using the windows copy/paste showed slower results than SMB/CIFS. From what I recall I did not have IPsec enabled.

If you guys want to see some results I could probably set up the software again. Let me know.

00Roush

Jumbo

In my <limited> iSCSI experience, Jumbo frames makes a significant difference in performance. I assume due to the overhead of encapsulation data to real data is so much higher with small frames. Was all the testing done without Jumbo Frames?

Cheers

In my testing with iSCSI so far I have not used jumbo frames. I didn't think it would make any difference as it never did with SMB/CIFS. Now that you mention it I remember reading some other info that showed a big improvement using jumbo frames with iSCSI. I'll try it and report back.

00Roush

So I haven't got around to checking on the Jumbo frames... Instead I have found that with Ubuntu Server and Win Vista SP1 file copies using SMB/CIFS or iSCSI are faster than my previous tests of Win XP PRO. For example writes from my client (Vista SP1) to server (ubuntu server) hum at about 70-80 MB/sec. Reading from the server to the client is around 80-105 MB/sec. This is using single drives.

Also tested with Openfiler on the server and Win XP Pro on the client utilizing the same two computers. From what I recall read and write performance seemed capped at about 60 MB/sec. Next up I will try Win XP Pro on the server and Win Vista on the client with iSCSI and see what I come up with.

00Roush

I have a Qnap ts439 pro with a 3 drive jbod.

i have tested many different file size copies from it to my vista x64 htpc.
GBlan no JF

iSCSI reports about 40MB/s as smb reports 6MB/s. when copying wind0ws dvr files..

It's crazy! but even on my XP sp3 box iSCSI is faster...

i'm not sure whats

The SMB results sound very low.

Further testing I have done more recently shows improved iSCSI throughput than in the article. But when file size exceeds the iSCSI initiator's RAM size, throughput drops sharply.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!