What's new

Solved How to bypass standard DNS servers for one domain and all subdomains

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iTyPsIDg

After looking through the forum, I think I need to use dnsmasq.postconf to accomplish my goal, but I don't know how.

PROBLEM: I use NordVPN's SmartDNS service to stream while traveling; however, they can't resolve one domain I need to use.

I have a list of the URLs and IP addresses using the IPvFoo browser extension, but if I can find a way to forward any queries for a specific domain, plus subdomains (e.g., google.com, *.google.com), to a different DNS server then I think using the website will begin working as desired.

Am I correct about dnsmasq.postconf? If so, could someone help me write this or point me in the direction of examples/documentation on how to write one correctly?

So when you're "traveling" you're taking your router with you and connecting to it? Are you running a VPN client on this router? If that's the case it may be configured to use the VPN provider's DNS servers rather than the router's, in which case changes to dnsmasq will have no effect.

So when you're "traveling" you're taking your router with you and connecting to it?
Correct.
Are you running a VPN client on this router?
Yes.
If that's the case it may be configured to use the VPN provider's DNS servers rather than the router's, in which case changes to dnsmasq will have no effect.
I ignore the DNS servers pushed by the VPN.
1693496412699.png

In which case you could probably use a dnsmasq.conf.add file that contained a server= line. See the example in the man page:

THANK YOU! I can access that webpage now. I had long assumed they were blocking my VPN, but I recently realized that the addresses were not resolving.

I updated /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add as you suggested and then used scMerlin to restart DNSMASQ, the page loaded without issue, and I was able to log in.