What's new

How to choose between Cake and Adaptive\Flex QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Source, please. I want to read the original. Quench, Squinch, Squelch... screech? Thank you!

Look in the TCP Headers. It's a single bit flag

I don't know how successful are you and in what, but I like accuracy. You are definitely not accurate in terms. Since you can't explain well what do you mean, send me a link so I can see what it is and how it is related to Adaptive or Cake QoS. Only then we can continue the conversation.

What happened to ER605, @Smokey613? :)
I decided to exchange it for the ER7206…. just in case I decide to get crazy on the Omada stuff. Besides, it still cost less than most of the newer Asus wifi routers. :)

I don't know how successful are you and in what, but I like accuracy. You are definitely not accurate in terms. Since you can't explain well what do you mean, send me a link so I can see what it is and how it is related to Adaptive or Cake QoS. Only then we can continue the conversation.

I've been successful in many things. Among them was leading a team that won an Intel Award for one of the first large campus wireless networks.

This article is an overview. Note that TCP has Flow Control

If you want the exact details, read the RFCs that describe TCP. There is a wonderful video I posted a while back where a member of the CAKE QOS team describes the mechanism in detail

You're very successful at wasting my time. No more.

You're very successful at wasting my time. No more.

One learns when they research. You are not doing the reading necessary to learn what you are asking about. As the article I pointed you to states, it's complex. Want to learn it, you need to put in the time.

Oh well, guess you will continue making incorrect statements about why CAKE QOS can't work

My opinion, one that you totally didn’t ask for:

Two grown adults, clearly that know a thing or two about the subject matter (and likely a way lot more), both using said knowledge to steer the conversation to prove their point vs. acknowledging the other may in some way or another also have a point. In fact there’s probably more you agree on than disagree. But don't worry - I’ll be quiet now - wouldn’t want to spoil the ‘fun’!

Look forward to seeing your names pop up in other threads where undoubtedly you’ll both have lots of helpful knowledge to share :)

Last edited:
My opinion, one that you totally didn’t ask for:

Two grown adults, clearly that know a thing or two about the subject matter (and likely a way lot more), both using said knowledge to steer the conversation to prove their point vs. acknowledging the other may in some way or another also have a point. In fact there’s probably more you agree on than disagree. But don't worry - I’ll be quiet now - wouldn’t want to spoil the ‘fun’!

Look forward to seeing your names pop up in other threads where undoubtedly you’ll both have lots of helpful knowledge to share :)

Could it be that I know this subject to the bit and Tech9 a little bit?

This is the theory, from the source:

The terms mentioned in this thread, cleared from severe dyslexia, are not in use since late 90's. What we call home gateway QoS today is best effort only and the end result varies between different service providers, different routers/firewalls and different/specific use cases. There is no universal fit solution. This is why some folks use Traditional QoS, others prefer Adaptive QoS, or use FlexQoS for extra control, or Cake with slower ISP lines due to home router hardware limitations. Some don't use QoS at all, simply because they don't need it.

I'm a bit tired of stubborn retired in this forum. I'll make shore I stay on the other shore. It dose save the next blast from the past dose. :confused:

This is the theory, from the source:

The terms mentioned in this thread, cleared from severe dyslexia, are not in use since late 90's. What we call home gateway QoS today is best effort only and the end result varies between different service providers, different routers/firewalls and different/specific use cases. There is no universal fit solution. This is why some folks use Traditional QoS, others prefer Adaptive QoS, or use FlexQoS for extra control, or Cake with slower ISP lines due to home router hardware limitations. Some don't use QoS at all, simply because they don't need it.

I'm a bit tired of stubborn retired in this forum. I'll make shore I stay on the other shore. It dose save the next blast from the past dose. :confused:

Wow, the terms in this thread are used in the paper you quoted. Did you read it or just find it? Just read the abstract and you will see it indicates the opposite of your statements that QOS dose not work.

Abstract—The last several years has seen a renewed interest in smart queue management to curb excessive network queueing delay, as people have realised the prevalence of bufferbloat in real networks.

However, for an effective deployment at today’s last mile connections, an improved queueing algorithm is not enough in itself, as often the bottleneck queue is situated in legacy systems that cannot be upgraded. In addition, features such as per-user fairness and the ability to de-prioritise background traffic are often desirable in a home gateway.

In this paper we present Common Applications Kept Enhanced (CAKE), a comprehensive network queue management system designed specifically for home Internet gateways. CAKE packs several compelling features into an integrated solution, thus easing deployment. These features include: bandwidth shaping with overhead compensation for various link layers; reasonable DiffServ handling; improved flow hashing with both per-flow and per-host queueing fairness; and filtering of TCP ACKs. Our evaluation shows that these features offer compelling advantages, and that CAKE has the potential to significantly improve performance of last-mile internet connections.

Wow, the terms in this thread are used in the paper you quoted.

Quench, Squinch or Squelch?

your statements that QOS dose not work.

I never made such statement. Save your next dyslexia dose and use quote.

Does dyslexia affect reading as well? I'm not a doctor. If it does - my sincere apology. :oops:

Quench, Squinch or Squelch?

I never made such statement. Save your next dyslexia dose and use quote.

Does dyslexia affect reading as well? I'm not a doctor. If it does - my sincere apology. :oops:

I just reread the thread and it appears that I confused you with @coxhaus who is confused about what QOS can and can not do. I'm sorry.

Morris

Ps. Dyslexia can affect reading yet I generally read fine. I reacted to something you stated as you were trying to correct @coxhaus and then confused the two of you. I'm terribly sorry we went through this.

I understand. Thank you and stay safe @Morris.

I was defending the position tomatoes and potatoes are both used for food, but some like tomatoes more than potatoes and vice versa.