What's new

[HOW-TO] Firefox Sync server right on router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryzhov_al

Very Senior Member
This is how-to install lightweight FF sync server to router. As a fork of official server it can sync all stuff that FF can sync: bookmarks, addons, settings, tabs, history and so on.

Requirements:
  1. asuswrt-merlin firmware on board and a USB drive with Entware installation.
  2. DNS-name given to router (<hostname> in further) and opened port (<port>) on router. See last part of TeHashX's instruction how to do it.

Installation:
Code:
opkg install weave-minimal

Server configuration:
Create new user by:
Code:
weave-minimal --data-dir=/opt/var/weave --register [B]user:password[/B]
and edit /opt/etc/init.d/S92weave-minimal to reflect actual --host=<hostname> --port=<port>. Now run synchronization server, it will start automatically on every boot:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S92weave-minimal start

Browser configuration:
Select from FF menu "Options > Sync > Set up Firefox Sync > I have an account > I don't have the device with me" and fill following fields:
  • Acount: <user>,
  • Password: <password>,
  • Server > Use a custom server: http://<hostname>:<port>/,
  • Recovery Key: put some keyword here, you'll have to put exactly the same keyword on other devices you want to sync. Please note: Android's FF can't accept random recovery key, you must enter here those, which taken from desktop FF menu "Options > Sync > Manage Accout > My recovery key".

That's it! Have a fun.

Last edited:
Browser configuration:
Select from FF menu "Options > Sync > Set up Firefox Sync > I have an account > I don't have the device with me" and fill following fields:
  • Acount: <user>,
  • Password: <password>,
  • Server > Use a custom server: http://<hostname>:<port>/,
  • Recovery Key: put some keyword here, you'll have to put exactly the same keyword on other devices you want to sync.
Hi,

Wow! Sounds great! Simple and straight forward. :)

Could this server be also accessed from the Internet? Which ports need to be opened? :rolleyes:

I run ~7(!) Firefox installations which I need to sync while on the Intranet (7) and also when I am on the Road (5).

AND: Could this be setup with multiple user-ids/pwd? To allow to sync all my families Firefox instances...

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Could this server be also accessed from the Internet?
Yes if you've got DynDNS name or just static IP address.

Which ports need to be opened? :rolleyes:
Any chosen. It must be the same in router and FF config.

AND: Could this be setup with multiple user-ids/pwd? To allow to sync all my families Firefox instances...
Yes, you may add new accounts as much as you wish. Sync data will be stored in compact sqlite format at /opt/var/weave, one file per user. You may estimate data size in FF menu by "Options > Sync > Manage Accout > View Qouta"

Last edited:
2 ryzhov_al
Thanks for this tutorial. I'm also FF fan from it's start, and I've been very excited seeing this thread. Rushed to install on RT-N66U, all went good on router.

However, in FF on PC it was no luck :(
I did Fresh install of FF and it's profile for testing, BTW...
On my PC I'm entering the same login and password, as in weave on router.
But FF responds with "wrong login or password".

What's strange, is that in the bottom line FF at the same time tells about some wrong recovery key.
FF-Sync-weave_prob1.png

I tried different recovery keys, still without luck... Any Ideas - what is wrong?

Last edited:
2 ryzhov_al
Thanks for this tutorial. I'm also FF fan from it's start, and I've been very excited seeing this thread. Rushed to install on RT-N66U, all went good on router.

What's strange, is that in the bottom line FF at the same time tells about some wrong recovery key.
FF-Sync-weave_prob1.png

I tried different recovery keys, still without luck... Any Ideas - what is wrong?

If you were using firefox's default sync server and are trying to use the recovery key from that, you need to make sure the username/password are exactly the same as it was on firefox sync. The recovery key won't work otherwise.

Sorry, can't reproduce that. I'm usung weave-minimal sync server on 3 PC's and 2 Android devices with the last FF versions. You may use FF portable for testing purposes.

That's normal. FF expects some predefined format of recovery key, but you may use any key you wish.

Hint: russian discussion.