What's new

How to get numerical static IP ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raphaeljameson

New Around Here
Hello,
My problem is that i have a PACS behind my fiber connection (dynamic IP)
Everything works perfect at this time.
Our O-ARM (like a CT scan) in our office can send pictures to a PACS server but can only accept numerical IP and not DDNS like xxx.no-ip.xx ( nothing can be done on this side...)

I can not get a static IP with my internet provider.
So i need to find a service like no ip which gives me a static numerical ip instead of a classic address ?

Any idea welcome!!!!

will it work for ipv6? There are some providers that will give you a static ipv6 address including some ipv4 to ipv6 tunnel providers.

The other way is with redirects using the router on the O-ARM side so you can send to one IP and the router will redirect all traffic to that IP to your no-ip domain.

Unfortunately no...
My provider has not yet activated IPV6 ( orange, N°1 in france....) and our 600.000€ toy does not manage ipv6.... a shame....

I am at this time trying some VPN provider that give static ip...

Unfortunately no...
My provider has not yet activated IPV6 ( orange, N°1 in france....) and our 600.000€ toy does not manage ipv6.... a shame....

I am at this time trying some VPN provider that give static ip...
You can make a tunnel between 2 routers so it would just be a static LAN IP.
My first suggestion doesnt require IPV6, its basically getting an IPV6 to IPV4 tunnel so it lets you have ipv6 on the internet side of things and gives you a static IPV6 IP.

Its much simpler to just use a redirect on your router.

On a configurable router on the forward chain you would just redirect all traffic to an IP of your choosing to your dynamic domain. The IP can be some unrealistic IP that doesnt exist (except 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1) and you can configure a static IP on your machine. Its really simple. You either use a public ipv6 to ipv4 tunnel to get a static ipv6 IP address or you can configure the router to redirect all traffic meant for an IP to your dynamic domain.

None of the solutions require you to have an ipv6 ISP

MODEL
=======
SENDER => RECIPIENT (DDNS - Target IP Address)
O-Arm => PACS​

SIMPLE SOLUTION
==============
The simple solution is to pay the ISP for a static IP, otherwise you will need a service to update the sender's (O-arm system), when it is changed. I strongly recommend that this be done, otherwise you venture into greater complexity, which is fine if you are technically savvy, but it sounds like this is a healthcare application and the rule is KISS. Contact your ISP vendor to explain that this is a medical application and they should give you special consideration. I see this as a human problem and less of a technical problem.

WAIT! WAIT! THERE'S A HARDER WAY TO DO THIS!
=======================================
Having worked with government, this has been my experience. That being said, DDNS is a service that updates DNS servers when the recipient's IP address changes. DDNS in conjunction with "check and update" can be done with a cron job to monitor the PACS address for a change and update the sending system. Ideally this update would be done automagically, however, you may have to do this manually each time the IP address changes, if it is not possible to electronically update the target IP address.

Bon Chance!

The simple solution is to pay the ISP for a static IP, otherwise you will need a service to update the sender's (O-arm system), when it is changed. I strongly recommend that this be done, otherwise you venture into greater complexity, which is fine if you are technically savvy, but it sounds like this is a healthcare application and the rule is KISS. Contact your ISP vendor to explain that this is a medical application and they should give you special consideration.

Different countries have different rules, but in the US, the use case likely will fall under HIPAA rules, which put a much higher bar on privacy and security for health care providers and contractors in that realm...

So be very careful - "Our O-ARM (like a CT scan) in our office can send pictures to a PACS server" is a concern flag - and this is something that you can discuss with your ISP.