What's new

How to get whole lan as source ip in QoS?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 27741

Hey broz. Been messing around with QOS. I am essentially trying to put 1 computer on the top of the heap and the rest in the trash bin.

I am of the mindset that QOS rules are gone through sequentially, and if a packet matches a rule it will not be affected by the rules below it.

With that in mind, I want to experiment with my QOS like this-

1) master computer (highest)
2) all other ips on the LAN (not highest)

Is there a way to put in a source ip that will cover "everything else?"

Will a 0.0.0.0 or a 192.168.48.0/24 work here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume you're talking about Traditional QoS on your N66U, and not Adaptive QoS on some other model?

Do you have a "Default Priority Level" setting on the QoS page? Use that.

Yes, indeed. After a whole lot of trying to get QOS working, I think I am going to give up on QOS and hard line. Reasonable lag is not possible unless I turn down the QOS to about 10 Mbps down/8 Mbps up. Honestly it's like there is no QOS at all (for download). I can get 70+ down 10 up straight from the modem (router out of the picture) without any lag so that seems to suggest the lag is not coming from my isp. Any reasonable download speed, say 30 Mbps from wireless on the router results in hundreds of ms lag through tcp or icmp. I can't imagine this is normal for this router but here I am.

I have tried John's fork (legacy and regular flavors) and Rmerlin's latest for the N66U. Haven't been able to get traditional QOS working (adaptive not an option on n66u) on any of them.

Mr. ColinTaylor if you know a firmware for the N66U that has viable traditional QOS I would be greatly appreciative of your advice. :)

It is odd... QOS does seem to be working right for uploads, just not downloads. :(

John and I worked on his implementation of Traditional QoS or year or so ago. At that time I was doing my testing with an N66U. When we were done we were satisfied that it worked properly.

Is your problem specific to ICMP over an N-class wireless connection? That's not something that we would have specifically looked at as we were concentrating of volumes of TCP/UDP traffic.

I have tested tcp using the command "psping router/google -t -T" and see the same thing. ICMP/tcp work for uploads. I feel like there is an on switch in the nvram I'm missing.

If I were any better at iptables I might attempt to get it working myself but I just look at them and drool.

Does this only happen on your wireless connection?

When we discussed this by PM my take away from that was that it was a limitation of the slow speed of your wireless link. Remember that wireless connections are half-duplex so realistically you can only expect about 50% throughput of the link speed (plus all the other inherent problems that Wi-Fi has). My guess is that you've hit the bandwidth limit of your Wi-Fi connection.

What is the maximum wireless link speed as reported by the router whilst doing downloads/uploads?

Yes, it only happens on wireless.

Stations (flags: P=Powersave Mode, S=Short GI, T=STBC, A=Associated, U=Auth, G=Guest)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAC IP Address Name RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags
das my mac my ip yo mud -74dBm 135/81 Mbps 0:37:25 AU

Lowest I see for Rx is about 108 lowest for Tx is 40.

Hmm, inconclusive. It looks like your wireless adapter only has one antenna and your router is set at 40MHz bandwidth.

Is that on 5GHz or 2.4GHz?

Have you tried this with any other wireless PC's?

You are onto something. Brought a laptop and put it next to the desktop with issues. QOS seems to be working for both download and upload for the laptop. What on earth could be the issue with a wireless card that would cause this kind of oddity?

Maybe it's just a rubbish wireless card. What kind of card is it, PCI, USB?

Wi-Fi cards plugged directly into desktop computers (as apposed to laptops) tend to suffer from RF interference problems.

It is built into the motherboard. I guess at some point I will need to check if increasing the quality of the signal (moving router/desktop closer together) helps.

Just a rubbish wireless card is probably right. :) Blargh.

It has tiny little antennas that attach right off the motherboard so no for the time being. Bummer.

Also- much appreciate the help mydude.

Edit- I moved the router closer, reset tcp/ip and winsock, and the issue is fixed. I think ColinTaylor was correct here in his assessment that the signal just wasn't strong enough- the router had to be closer for the rubbish wireless card to function well while a decent one (in the laptop) was good enough to work further away.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!