What's new

How to maximize LAN performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

choleric

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AC68U with firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.38_2. My speeds from a wired client running Win8.1 to an 802.11g wireless client running WinXP typically average less than 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps).

I've messed with various settings and can't seem to improve this speed, which is annoyingly slow since I transfer large files all the time. The wireless client is always within ~25 feet of the router, and the signal is straight-line, unimpeded. It's definitely not a signal issue.

Can anyone offer guidance, other than "use a wire"?

I have an Asus RT-AC68U with firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.38_2. My speeds from a wired client running Win8.1 to an 802.11g wireless client running WinXP typically average less than 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps).

I've messed with various settings and can't seem to improve this speed, which is annoyingly slow since I transfer large files all the time. The wireless client is always within ~25 feet of the router, and the signal is straight-line, unimpeded. It's definitely not a signal issue.

Can anyone offer guidance, other than "use a wire"?

That's about right for wireless g 2.4ghz.... You need to upgrade to wireless ac...You'll get around 30 megabytes a second with a usb ac56u usb 3.0

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I would say that the name of this thread is quite misleading. This problem has nothing to do with LAN performance. Therefore, I'm afraid, you cannot get proper answer.

I would say that the name of this thread is quite misleading. This problem has nothing to do with LAN performance. Therefore, I'm afraid, you cannot get proper answer.
I don't know what you mean. At all. How is the performance from one client to another, ON MY LAN, not a LAN performance issue? I could not call it "How to maximize wireless performance", because WAN speeds seem fine. It seems like a LAN issue from my perspective.

Last edited:
That's about right for wireless g 2.4ghz.... You need to upgrade to wireless ac...You'll get around 30 megabytes a second with a usb ac56u usb 3.0
Thank you for an actually-helpful answer. I had thought 802.11g did better than that. My previous router got me up around 3.0 Mbps, unless I am hallucinating, which could be the case.

Thank you for an actually-helpful answer. I had thought 802.11g did better than that. My previous router got me up around 3.0 Mbps, unless I am hallucinating, which could be the case.

nope, 54Mbps. cut that in half, 27Mbps, take away a bit more as the technology isn't perfect and that leaves you with more real world performance of 20Mbps - 24Mbps. perhaps you might look into a wireless ac adapter for you wireless client. that will get you some nice speeds.

There are quite a few factors but you're getting speed that's pretty good for 54g. I use a wireless g router as a client to my 66u and my speed varies from around 2.5 to 3MB/s. It really depends on my neighbors wireless interference since my speed is the fastest at night when no ones obviously up going wireless crazy.

I don't know what you mean. At all. How is the performance from one client to another, ON MY LAN, not a LAN performance issue? I could not call it "How to maximize wireless performance", because WAN speeds seem fine. It seems like a LAN issue from my perspective.

Sorry man, but the user oldgringo is absolutely right. You are speaking about communications between wireless client and wired client. So, this is NOT related to the LAN performance. Your question is related to the Wi-Fi performance as the Wi-Fi is the bottleneck in such case. Simply speaking "LAN" means "wired" so not both of your clients are on "your LAN".

So the right question should be "How to maximize wireless performance?" You may find a lot of answers if do a search of this forum about Wi-Fi speed, performance, etc.

P.S. And "WAN" is something totally different and nothing to do with wireless. "WAN" is your dedicated LAN port connnected to the external network of your ISP.

Last edited:
Sorry man, but the user oldgringo is absolutely right. You are speaking about communications between wireless client and wired client. So, this is NOT related to the LAN performance. Your question is related to the Wi-Fi performance as the Wi-Fi is the bottleneck in such case. Simply speaking "LAN" means "wired" so not both of your clients are on "your LAN".

So the right question should be "How to maximize wireless performance?" You may find a lot of answers if do a search of this forum about Wi-Fi speed, performance, etc.

P.S. And "WAN" is something totally different and nothing to do with wireless. "WAN" is your dedicated LAN port connnected to the external network of your ISP.

WLAN :rolleyes:

choleric;

There is nothing you can do but spend money on new equipment, or run a Ethernet cable directly in to your WinXP computer.

Ummm, not to start something. But LAN, as I'm sure you know means Local Area Network and encompasses both Ethernet and wifi. Whilst I totally knew what oldgringo meant and initially thought the same way, after thinking about it a minute I see no reason why that is correct. If I'm incorrect I'll be glad to admit it and learn something new, but Ethernet refers to a wired connection, not the term LAN.

Sent from my iPhone

I know what "LAN" and "WAN" mean. I also know that wireless clients are, in fact, part of the LAN.

Maybe the subject could have been better chosen one way or the other, but coming on just to point that out is ridiculous, and ironic as well, for hopefully obvious reasons.

I've purchased a 802.11ac wireless adapter, and I'm sure it will help things.

Thanks for those who responded helpfully.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread and swear on my child's life that I will never come back to it. I only say this to save anyone else from attempting to say something else ridiculous to me; perhaps that blue and green are two different colors, or perhaps that the sun is not a planet.

My previous note was not meant offensively at all. And as I can see, despite you didn't like it, you understood it. :D
Good luck!