What's new

How to recover lost files from Synology NAS DS415+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Simpson

New Around Here
My Synology DS415+ NAS don’t turn on, it may be out of order.
There is no way to access the files by just connecting the disks to the computer. I can't try replacing the device itself - there is no similar device available.
How to extract data from hard disks after the NAS device broke down, from an inoperable disk array? (I hope that all drives are working and my data is still there)
Is there any well-tested data recovery tools for NAS solutions?

Boot to a Linux USB

Install mdadm and scan to build the array and mount.

Disks should be fine and just need a new NAS or DAS to bring them online again.

And once you get your data recovered, I suggest reaching out to Synology Tech Support

The DS415+ has the Intel Rangely CPU, and there are known/documented issues with that CPU that result in devices suddenly not able to start up.

You might get a goodwill repair or a discount on a newer device...

Good place to start...

Thank you. Useful article. I liked the idea with Windows+UFS Explorer.
I even googled a bit in this direction, and looked at the material similar to the one you recommended: https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_news/how-to-recover-data-from-raid-synology-nas-ds415.htm#plan_3
I understand that this is not the best solution, but people advise different programs. But, it looks so simple: connect the drives to the PC and it sees your array.
I want to get this experience, I will try. I will write about the result in time.

Thank you. Useful article. I liked the idea with Windows+UFS Explorer.
I even googled a bit in this direction, and looked at the material similar to the one you recommended: https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_news/how-to-recover-data-from-raid-synology-nas-ds415.htm#plan_3
I understand that this is not the best solution, but people advise different programs. But, it looks so simple: connect the drives to the PC and it sees your array.
I want to get this experience, I will try. I will write about the result in time.
I tried the data recovery method described in this article, and everything worked out for me. The proposed program perfectly coped with its task.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Great to hear! Did you reach out to Synology to see if they would replace/fix your unit?

Great to hear! Did you reach out to Synology to see if they would replace/fix your unit?
I've reached out to Synology, but support answers with standard phrases and directs me to instructions from their knowledge center.
And I have no way to send it directly to Synology.
So, the device is sent to the nearest service center for repair.

I've reached out to Synology, but support answers with standard phrases and directs me to instructions from their knowledge center.
And I have no way to send it directly to Synology.
So, the device is sent to the nearest service center for repair.
Ah yes, the 'fake support' that is today's customer service. Have you tried contacting the nearest and see what they say?

Is the place to start...

And here's how to open a SRS ticket

And maybe consider a proper backup strategy for the future so you aren't scrambling trying to figure out how to recover data. Essentially, you got lucky this time. It may not be the same next time :)

And maybe consider a proper backup strategy for the future so you aren't scrambling trying to figure out how to recover data. Essentially, you got lucky this time. It may not be the same next time :)

Yep - NAS is never a backup - rather since it collects files from other sources, it absolutely needs to be backed up itself...

Synology and QNAP both include backup Apps for this purpose...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!