What's new

How to reset nvram on asus rt87u ? please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CrYz

New Around Here
can anyone tell me how to reset nvram on asus rt87u? btw i wanna completely wipe my router so please help me and it doesnt matter if its hard just tell me please and im on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4950 its the official one not merlin or beta and on why i wanna completely wipe my router after updating from 3.0.0.4.376.2769 to 3.0.0.4.378.4608 i did hard reset due to 5GHz driver updated and after all that my router keeps dropping connection and sometimes my connection speed goes down aswell so i decided to wait for the next firmware so i updated to 3.0.0.4.378.4950 and still same problem i did hard reset and all no luck btw hard reset is holding red button on router for 30sec right? and please help me on how to completely wipe my router and nvram sorry for bad english

Last edited:
In the gui under Administration on the Restore/Save/Upload settings tab, select Restore to factory defaults.

are u sure it will wipe nvram tho? cause i tried so many times and didnt work.
so i will explain why i wanna completely wipe my router after updating from 3.0.0.4.376.2769 to 3.0.0.4.378.4608 i did hard reset due to 5GHz driver updated and after all that my router keeps dropping connection and sometimes my connection speed goes down aswell so i decided to wait for the next firmware so i updated to 3.0.0.4.378.4950 and still same problem i did hard reset and all no luck btw hard reset is holding red button on router for 30sec right? and please help me on how to completely wipe my router and nvram sorry for bad english

Resetting to factory settings clears the NVRAM. Check your wireless adapters for issues. See if they have the latest drivers installed on them.

my friend had a similar issue and he cleared his nvram and it got fixed but it was on some other router tho he did some command like mtd-erase -d btw my wireless adapter dont have any issues and i 3 wired connection and 3 wireless i tried just using wired connection only but still drops connection and sometimes speed goes down so yeah

and does both hard reset and the on gui reset NVRAM? and hard reset is holding red button on router for 30sec right?

Factory re-set, hold reset button for 10 seconds and release or hold the wps button while you plug it in till the light blinks and release will reset all to factory settings. If your hard wired devices are dropping connections I would consider returning the router.

I am CONVINCED there is a problem with fully resetting this router. I'm NOT convinced ANY of the methods work reliably. Of course they work for most people most of the time, but if you are unlucky and your router gets in an odd state.....There are a number of people, me included, who have had weird unique problems (mine involved br0 looping errors since 4825 visible in the log and disabling the network that would only happen if the 5Ghz guest network was enabled), that have not been solved with multiple resets.

My problem eventually magically vanished when, more in desperation than anything, I put the final release 4950 on top of the IDENTICAL (we did a file compare) beta 4950! So, I would try that - resetting, installing identical firmware over the top of itself and resetting again afterwards and/or just using all reset methods together. Hopefully, eventually, it will work.

I always use this command after flashing to wipe nvram:
mtd-erase2 nvram
Then I power cycle the router

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Login with telnet or ssh client (i.e. putty)

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

can you explain the whole process i mean like how to do it ?
I wouldn't like to contribute to brick your router. You'd better stick to the Web UI or WPS/reset buttons methods.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OK, that's the attitude I like, I mean: If it ain't broke then it needs more tweaking :D
It's very simple:

1. First of all you need to enable Telnet login from Web UI:
2zyzudu.jpg

2. Open a command prompt (I must assume you already know how to do it, otherwise you'll find billions of thousaunds of guides)...then execute telnet:
Code:
telnet [your router ip]

It will ask you user and passwd...
rmtxe9.png

Then you are already into your router's shell.

3. Now i'ts time to wipe the nvram, just type this:
Code:
mtd-erase2 nvram
Note: This command is valid for AC68U, AC87U and later models.

Now your router's nvram is blank.

4. The last step is to power cyle the router. Shut it down. Wait from 5 to 10 seconds then power it on.

Now it will boot with 101% granted nvram wiped out.

telnet is no longer installed by default starting with Windows Vista. You must either add it through Program & Functionalities, or use a free client such as Putty or XShell.

OK, that's the attitude I like, I mean: If it ain't broke then it needs more tweaking :D
It's very simple:

1. First of all you need to enable Telnet login from Web UI:
2zyzudu.jpg

2. Open a command prompt (I must assume you already know how to do it, otherwise you'll find billions of thousaunds of guides)...then execute telnet:
Code:
telnet [your router ip]

It will ask you user and passwd...
rmtxe9.png

Then you are already into your router's shell.

3. Now i'ts time to wipe the nvram, just type this:
Code:
mtd-erase2 nvram
Note: This command is valid for AC68U, AC87U and later models.

Now your router's nvram is blank.

4. The last step is to power cyle the router. Shut it down. Wait from 5 to 10 seconds then power it on.

Now it will boot with 101% granted nvram wiped out.
thank you soo much bro :)

telnet is no longer installed by default starting with Windows Vista. You must either add it through Program & Functionalities, or use a free client such as Putty or XShell.
i got Windows 8 does it have telnet or should i install putty or XShell? btw which one is good putty or XShell?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!