What's new

How to set priorities in a network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geno888

Occasional Visitor
Hello everybody :)

This is my first post here (I hope in the right section)

Because of English is not my primary language, I hope that I'll be able to explain clearly what I'm asking for :eek:

My internet connection is set as follow:

Phone plug in the wall --> Modem (Linksys AM200) --> Router (D-Link DIR-655) --> PC-1

PC-1 is my computer and is connected 24/7. Now and again, my brother needs to connect his computer (PC-2) to the router and because of the PC-1 use all the bandwidth, PC-2 can surf the net very slowly.

The most obvious solution is to stop something in PC-1 so there is enough bandwidth to allow both computers to use the internet connection, but to do this I have to manually stop something in PC-1.

Even if this (very annoying) solution works, sometimes I'm not at home so I can't do this and my brother knows that is better to not touch my machine or else.... ;)

There is a way to automatically give a higher priority to every connection made by PC-2 so I'm not forced anymore to manually stop things in PC-1?

I read somewhere about managed switches (I also found some at an affordable price), but I'm not sure that it is the right solution for me.

If I understood correctly how QoS works (did I mention that I'm a huge noob?), then this is not the solution for my problem.

Any suggestions? If possible PC-2 should be connected wireless (placing a cable is very cumbersome given the place where the router is located, and moving the router to another place is definitely not an option because is even more cumbersome), but a cable is good too if I can obtain the result.

If needed, I can consider to purchase a new router. The reason why I choose the DIR-655 is that after reading some reviews here and this chart, it seemed to me the best compromise between results posted here and models I can find easily in my zone at a reasonable price.

Maybe I'm totally wrong (again, I'm a total nob in these things) but I thought that a router able to manage a higher amount of simultaneous connections was the best option when I need to use the torrent.

I don't know if is relevant, but I never use wireless except when my brother randomly needs to use the router, so I need to leave the wireless active 24/7. This means that being me a huge noob I also need help about how to configure the router to reduce the risk that someone in the neighborhood will use my internet connection. If I'm not wrong, it should be possible to allow connections only to a single NIC (using the MAC address maybe?) but I have no idea if my router supports this feature.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion :)

I'd tell PC-2's user to not do Bittorrents or whatever is consistently hogging.

Failing that, you can use a certain router, or a router with the DD-WRT firmware replacement, and establish Quality Of Service (QoS) rules. This can throttle the data traffic based on LAN port number (best/easiest) or possibly service port, or flow type.

But the best way to deal with this is common courtesy.

Hi :)

Thanks for your answer. Browsing the config pages I found this in my router.

If I understood correctly, assigning to the PC-2 IP address a higher priority should solve my problem.

The D-Link QoS only controls uplink priority. This can indirectly control downlink traffic priority, but this may not be effective.

Go to the Router finder and set the QoS section filters for Type and Direction to "Both". This will show you routers that allow you to control bandwidth in both directions, which is what you really want to do, i.e. limit your brother's bandwidth.