What's new

How to set Web Access & OpenDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowboy

Regular Contributor
I want to have web access to my router outside of my local area network (Web Access from WAN) . But I am not sure how to set everything up. I use OpenDNS to block p2p/filesharing, I also use DNS-O-Matic to notify OpenDNS about the dynamic IP changes of my router.

Now I need a Hostname, but don't know which service to use and how to configure it so that it works with OpenDNS and DNS-O-Matic. I tried ASUS DDNS ( .asuscomm.com), but can't figure out how to use it with OpenDNS. Can someone suggest something ?

See if DNS-o-Matic supports afraid.org. It's a fairly established, freely available DDNS service, more likely to be supported than a proprietary service such as AsusDDNS (which is tied to the MAC address of the client - so it wouldn't work with DNS-o-Matic).

See if DNS-o-Matic supports afraid.org. It's a fairly established, freely available DDNS service, more likely to be supported than a proprietary service such as AsusDDNS (which is tied to the MAC address of the client - so it wouldn't work with DNS-o-Matic).
Thanks for the reply. Ok I will try afraid.org. What settings do I have to do afterwards ? Just add it to DNS-O-Matic or do I have to change the DDNS router settings ?

Thanks for the reply. Ok I will try afraid.org. What settings do I have to do afterwards ? Just add it to DNS-O-Matic or do I have to change the DDNS router settings ?

Have the router use DNS-o-Matic, then configure everything on the DNS-o-matic site.

When exporting the OpenVPN client profile, don't forget to edit it to enter the correct afraid.org hostname (by default it will put a dns-o-matic hostname, which won't work).

Have the router use DNS-o-Matic, then configure everything on the DNS-o-matic site.

When exporting the OpenVPN client profile, don't forget to edit it to enter the correct afraid.org hostname (by default it will put a dns-o-matic hostname, which won't work).
Thanks for helping. Good to know because my next step was actually OpenVPN.

Thanks for helping. Good to know because my next step was actually OpenVPN.
You could also use the custom DDNS section to update DNS-O-Matic or others sites so that the name you enter on that page will be correct for exporting the openvpn client profile.

DNS-O-Matic does support afraid.org. I created a subdomain (name.mooo.com). For it to work I have to put in the chrome bar https://name:mooo.com:8443, otherwise it won't show the WebUI of the router.

On the DNS-O-MATIC page I added afraid.org service. I added the Direct URL Key, which if I am not wrong is the string of characters found after "reedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?". So I added just that sequence of characters. But it is still waiting for its first update, maybe I did something wrong ?

Last edited:
DNS-O-Matic does support afraid.org. I created a subdomain (name.mooo.com). For it to work I have to put in the chrome bar https://name:mooo.com:8443, otherwise it won't show the WebUI of the router.

On the DNS-O-MATIC page I added afraid.org service. I added the Direct URL Key, which if I am not wrong is the string of characters found after "reedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?". So I added just that sequence of characters. But it is still waiting for its first update, maybe I did something wrong ?
It took longer, but this is the correct procedure, everything is working fine. DNS-O-Matic updates afraid.org with the new Dynamic IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!