What's new

How to setup surfshark vpn on an Asus AXE7800 router when using dual wan in load balancing mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is expected. The VPN client opens a single connection to the surfshark server and tunnels data through it. In load balancing mode there's a 3:1 (or whatever ratio you have set) chance which WAN interface it will use to establish the link. You could use the Dual WAN Routing rules to fix the VPN connection to a specific WAN interface.

Last edited:
I see this but I'm not sure of what to do next. Could you please tell me how to use the dual wan routing rules to do this? Thank you.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 092119.png

I was hoping to combine both wans for more speed. I wanted to use my vpn as well by setting up two surfshark vpn tunnels, having each wan go through a separate tunnel and combine the traffic for a combined, faster vpn experience. Is this possible?

It might be possible but you probably won't experience more speed. An individual client will still only use a single connection. But if you were using lots of client devices simultaneously the combined throughput of the whole network might be improved.

I'm not sure Dual-WAN is compatible with multiple VPN clients. I don't use stock Asus firmware so I'm not familiar with how its VPN works. How would you configure the VPN clients so that two were in use simultaneously (rather than one taking priority over the other)?

How would you configure the VPN clients so that two were in use simultaneously?
That's a very good question. I'm not sure the answer to that but I think my answer might be to try link aggregation.

You can try link aggregation and get the results ColinTaylor already hinted at in his post above.

WAN aggregation is only possible from the ISP side of the equation. If they even offer it at all (and at a reasonable cost).

Link aggregation would simplify matters but it only works with a dual port internet gateway device (that supports link aggregation). So it wouldn't work with two different internet connections, that's what Dual-WAN is for.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!