What's new

How to use 2 routers connected by Ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SeattleBruce

New Around Here
I have several questions about connecting 2 RT-AC66R routers in my house in order to get good coverage in all parts of the house. Router #1 is connected directly to the cable modem. Router #2 (located 2 floors away) is connected by Ethernet to Router #1.
  1. Should I leave Router #2 in "Wireless router" mode or change it to "Access Point" mode?

2. Should I change the LAN IP for Router #2 from its default (192.168.1.1) to something else? What should I change it to?

3. I can use the same network SSIDs and WPA-PSK keys for both routers, right?

4. Should I leave the Control Channel and Extension Channel on Auto or set them manually on one or both routers?

5. Should I change any other default settings on Router #1 or Router #2?
Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Better use #2 as AP or you're else creating a double NAT

Different non overlapping channels on each router/AP.

It depends on your setup and clients if you should use the same or different SSIDs on both. You will have to experiment and see what works best for you. Personally I use different APs. I would start with different (4 SSIDs) and once you get everything working try the same and see how it works in your situation.

Since you arent using WDS or similar you should use different non overlapping channels since they are connected by ethernet.

Unless you intend to create some complicated network theres no point making double NAT so your second router should just be in AP mode using the LAN port.

The main router needs a static IP while the 2nd router can use any other unused IP address or even DHCP.

Using the same SSID and password is recommended since clients switch to the one with the best signal automatically unless you want to enforce different WLANs.

you can leave the control and extension channels on auto. You dont have to change any other settings but you could to make things better such as jumbo frames, QoS, firewall or even scheduler or USB if you want to make use of other features.