HTTPS - Can't log into Router

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by prism break, Nov 27, 2012.

  1. prism break

    prism break New Around Here

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    I ran into a problem after setting up my new Asus RT-N66U.

    I am running stock FW 3.0.0.4.220 and after basic setup, the only change made was to change my login from http to https. Since then, I cannot connect to the router GUI using http://192.168.1.1 or https://192.168.1.1. I have tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

    A different post I read suggested opening port 8443, but I don't know how to do this. I have even turned off the firewall. I am connecting to the router through a Mac (10.6.8). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
     
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

  3. RMerlin

    RMerlin Part of the Furniture

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2012
    Messages:
    14,666
    Location:
    Canada
    https://192.168.1.1:8443
     
  4. prism break

    prism break New Around Here

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Thank you so very, very much.

    I have a lot to learn and the community here seems very helpful.

    Thanks again.
     
  5. brente_de

    brente_de New Around Here

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Access to router via phone

    Hi, I had a similar problem, after I followed the security warning of IE10 under WIN 8 and changed the settings of my ASUS RT-N16 in order to enter the GUI via HTTPS. Result: afterwards login to my router was no longer possible. Instead now I got an error message, either saying that HTTP://192.168.1.1 can not be opened or that HTTPS://192.168.1.1 has a certificate problem, trying to cheat me.
    I tried many solutions proposed in various forums, including power off and reboot of the router, but nothing helped. Then I tried RMerlin's proposal with various ports: no solution in my case. I tried various browsers: no change. It seems that WIN 8 no longer allows to bypass a certificate warning, as was possible with foregoing versions (I checked Microsoft's knowledge base without help for this problem).
    Altogether that took me 5 hours sweating.
    As I did not want to reset the router to factory settings (which would have required a complete new flash of DD-WRT firmware and configuration of my VPN), I finally tried https://192.168.1.1 in my internet browser on the Android smartphone: IT WORKED !!!
    I could change the router GUI access back to http://192.168.1.1 and now fortunately access the router's website again from my PC.
    Phew !!!:p
     

Share This Page